E.J. Stevens's Reviews > A Canticle for Leibowitz

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.

A profound and darkly comical dystopian novel that resonates with the reader for years to come.

When I read about Presenting Lenore's Dystopian August event, I immediately wanted to reread this sci-fi classic. I originally read this book twenty years ago and have never forgotten the experience. A Canticle for Leibowitz is a post-apocalyptic tale that is at once philosophical and darkly humorous. It is not often that an author can achieve hilarity in a dystopian novel, yet I often found myself laughing at the absurdity of these poor characters. This novel illustrates the human need to find order in one's environment even when the slate has been, quite literally, wiped clean. In this vision of the future, a nuclear holocaust has laid waste to the planet and the few survivors are left with very little written history. This is also compounded by the backlash by the majority of the remaining population to destroy all science and knowledge. A monastic order, founded by the former scientist Leibowitz, have the "sacred shopping list" and the symbol on the door of a fallout shelter, but no context within which to understand what these words and symbols mean. Miller deftly weaves a superstitious society which, very believably, iconifies these items and creates an entire religious belief system upon them. An enjoyable, thought provoking classic.

I would recommend A Canticle for Leibowitz to fans of fantasy, science fiction, and especially to fans of thought provoking dystopian novels.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Canticle for Leibowitz.