Shelly's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Aug 01, 11

bookshelves: ebook, finished-in-2011, own
Read from July 27 to August 01, 2011

The Help follows three women - Abileen, Minny and Miss Skeeter - who get together in 1960's Jackson Mississippi to write a book about what it is like for black maids working for white families.

Now I understand a lot of people have had issues with this book because it is written by a white woman trying to portray the black women of the 1960's during some terrible times, but I have to admit that I enjoyed the book very much. I suppose I don't feel that every story about the civil rights movement has to be heavy handed and slap me upside the head with just how horrible that time was.

I really enjoyed this book. I loved the different voices for the main narrators; Abileen as the wiser, older maid ... Minny's tough, outspoken attitude ... even Skeeter, though at times I wished she had more backbone to stand up for what she felt was right.

The writing is super readable and I found myself being drawn into the story very quickly. I stayed up late many nights simply because I wanted to know what happened next. Certainly a book I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to friends and I already have a date with my mom to go see the movie.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.

07/27/2011
29.0% "So I started it early... loving it so far."
show 1 hidden update…