Corey's Reviews > The Riddle and the Knight: In Search of Sir John Mandeville, the World's Greatest Traveler

The Riddle and the Knight by Giles Milton

Apr 26, 07

Recommended for: those who like travel narratives
Read in November, 2004

This book had a very interesting subject but as the book wore on, I got the distinct feeling that perhaps this elusive Sir John Mandeville wasn't quite as important as the author was making him out to be. I also wondered at the relevance of the author's traveling to exotic locales in search of Sir John. The book was extremely interesting (and even amusing at points) with respects to the author's various travel escapades but the whole Sir John angle almost seemed unncessary. It was a nice little flair, but he really seemed superfluous. Of course, I wouldn't have found the book without it's reference to Sir John (I was in the medieval history section, what can I say?) so I supose it's all for the best that Mandeville is the subject. Anyway, it was an excellently written book with wonderful stories on every page. The author, rather than Sir John, came out as the hero in my opinion and I loved every moment of it. Unfortunately, there was very little closure at the end so I was still left in some degree of confusion regarding who this Sir John Mandeville bloke was and why I had just read an entire book supposedly about him, but it was a good read nonetheless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Riddle and the Knight.