Lindsay's Reviews > Daniel Deronda

Daniel Deronda by George Eliot

Jun 15, 10

Read in October, 2009

The plot was amazing! A great example of 19th century literature and how brilliant George Eliot truly was. Eliot follows two characters on their journeys, Deronda to find his true genealogy & Gwendolen to find what happiness fortune holds. This book like many of Elliot's books points out highly controversial religious issues of the time reflective of her own life that reflected a mix of Anglican upbringing dappling in realism & societal faux pas. In this book she points out a subtle but felt anti-Semitic movement in 19th century England through Deronda's character hiding beneath the front of a debonair, elegant society that seemed to have it all together in an enviable state as seen through Gwendolen's character.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daniel Deronda.

Quotes Lindsay Liked

George Eliot
“For what is love itself, for the one we love best? - an enfolding of immeasurable cares which yet are better than any joys outside our love.”

George Eliot
“I think I dislike what I don't like more than I like what I like.”

George Eliot
“Let my body dwell in poverty, and my hands be as the hands of the toiler; but let my soul be as a temple of remembrance where the treasures of knowledge enter and the inner sanctuary is hope.”