Chris Friend's Reviews > Forward the Foundation

Forward the Foundation by Isaac Asimov

Nov 19, 07

Recommended for: Sci-Fi Fans
Read in November, 2007

This is my second Foundation Series novel and fourth from Asimov in general, and it's my favorite, second only to I, Robot. Funny... the one thing that bugged me while reading this one was that it seemed too jumpy or segmented: often, 10 years would pass between parts of the book. Granted, that makes perfect sense, since Asimov essentially needed to cover an entire lifetime of a prominent figure in his universe all in one novel, but it got to the point where I was thinking, "What, again?"

Additionally, there's a surprising amount of death in this episode of the series. I'll of course have to wait until later books for me to determine whether I believe it was warranted, but there were a couple days during my reading that I was put into a somber mood because too many of the characters I had grown to like had been suddenly removed from the picture.

Overall, the pace, progress, and events in the story are believable, memorable, and purposeful, and the tale drives along in an interesting and sustained manner. I wouldn't say this novel is Earth-shattering, but it certainly is enjoyable. As side note: The end of the book includes an Epilogue, written about the main character. It is remarkably fitting as a footnote to Asimov's own writing, as this was the last novel he published before his death.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forward the Foundation.