Glenda's Reviews > Middle Passage: A Novel

Middle Passage by Charles R. Johnson

Feb 10, 10

Read in January, 2010

I had to read this for school, and I honestly wouldn't have read it all the way if it wasn't that I had to for class. Initially, I was put off by the narrator's time-inappropriate voice. Supposedly, we are reading the journal of a freed slave in 1830. However, he sounds like a scholarly modern man.
The more I read, though, the more I understood that this was exactly the writer's intention, and that much of the message of the book lies in this paradoxical narrator. For one thing, I believe the author is trying to imagine what it would be like to be in the 1830's, while also trying to make the readers understand what it meant to be black back then, and how so much has changed, yet so much has staid the same.
The plot is also very funny, though sometimes stretching believability. Again, I don't think the author tried to give us a believable plot, but rather point out some important questions about life and literature in writing like this.
The book was entertaining, easy to read, yet challenging on so many levels. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Middle Passage.