Kaori's Reviews > Catch a Mate

Catch a Mate by Gena Showalter

Feb 11, 10

I picked up this book out of pure curiosity. Once I started to read it, I just couldn't put it down. I was laughing so hard that my boyfriend looked at me as if I was out of my mind. I find the plot quite refreshing, giving a twist on the girl-meets-boy plot. I also find curious the characters occupations.

The main characters are engaging with their love you-hate you-kiss me senseless-I'll stab you in your sleep relationship. True that one of the big issues of this book is about their building sexual tension and also focuses on the points of view of both sides regarding relationship matters (fidelity, trust, commitment issues etc) I also liked the mixed first person approach of the story, giving us both sides at the same time.

The story itself is engaging, funny, tug-of-war between sexes, and as much as I liked it as a whole, there are points that could have been polished more. I would have liked that some characters were more defined or given more pages, delved more into the background of some of them etc. Although it does have a happy ending, I sort of found it a bit anti-climatic, as the whole story builds tensions (of the good kind) from the very start, the end was treated as if it was just ended in a hurry. I wouldn't have minded reading an extra 10 pages to have a more satisfactory end.

I do recommend this book, as it's fun to read and makes you laugh a lot and makes you enjoy the time you invest in it.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catch a Mate.