Victoria's Reviews > In a Sunburned Country

In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson

Aug 28, 10

bookshelves: memoir, nature, non-fiction
Read from August 19 to 20, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

What an entertaining look at Australia! This travelogue was filled with not only anecdotes from the author's trips around the continent/country, but also glimpses into its little known history and a plethora of other interesting facts. I learned a lot - and I have been to Australia before! Bryson's writing felt honest and completely authentic. I imagine that if you were to bump into him at a party, these are the same stories that he would share. I really enjoyed reading this and I am looking forward to reading more of his work!
He brought up the couple who were lost at sea quite a few times throughout the book, and I wonder if this had anything to do with that movie Open Water being made. Bryson certainly seemed fixated by their mystery, and while the movie was not great, it was worth seeing once.
The real highlight of the book, to me, was Bryson's trip through Tennyson Park... I had hoped to hear about some of the dogs of Australia, but after that escapade, I understood why this wasn't included in the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In a Sunburned Country.