Michael's Reviews > Mister B. Gone

Mister B. Gone by Clive Barker

Dec 02, 07

bookshelves: horror
Read in December, 2007

A Barker lagniappe for the holidays. Somewhat interesting, but not particularly deep. The author doesn't break any new ground unless you count the prettiness of the book itself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mister B. Gone.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michael Technically I haven't cracked it yet except to admire the fakey aging technique... but I'll keep you posted!

Michael Oh, I can recommend Barker, but maybe not this one. Abarat and Galilee are good.

Michael The best thing about Galilee is that it's less lurid than his earlier novels. The luridness just got old after a while. (that's why I really enjoyed the Abarat books - he wrote them for his daughter, and painted all of the illustrations himself)

Michael Tracy, this book is a lagniappe of a story so far (halfway in). It's not classic Barker but it's enjoyable.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Lagniappe! Frigging awesome. one of the best words ever!

Michael Isn't that French? I don't really know French, but it IS a great word!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought it was Norwegian...

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Cool! French/Spanish/Creole. That is a damn good Jambalaya.

Sick fact: the term was used in one of my corporate team building excercises. Which was why I was glad to see Michael use it. It freed the word up from the sinister connotations it originally had for me.

message 9: by Tosh (new)

Tosh ...Clive Barker has a daughter?

message 10: by Emanuel (new)

Emanuel I like Abarat, it's the only book by Barker that i have read.

And, to answer Tosh's question:

Barker was born in Liverpool, England, the son of Joan Ruby (née Revill), a painter and school welfare officer, and Leonard Barker, a personnel director for an industrial relations firm. He studied English and philosophy at Liverpool University. Barker, who is openly gay, lives in Los Angeles, California with his partner of 17 years, photographer David Armstrong and Armstrong's daughter Nicole from a previous relationship.

~e

message 11: by Tosh (new)

Tosh I didn't know that! Baker is a great person. I know him via my work at the bookstore, and he's great. Very charming.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I met Clive Barker at the LA Book Festival. He was the most charming guy imaginable. David armstrong and his daughter were there as well. She complimented me on my Radiohead T-shirt.
But some authors at the festival are complete shits. Barker stood out, in the best way, as gracious and humane.