Arlene's Reviews > Feast of Fools

Feast of Fools by Rachel Caine

Apr 03, 10

bookshelves: paranormal, read-2010, vampires, autographed, ya-paranormal, young-adult
Read in April, 2010

Feast of Fools is the fourth installment of the Morganville Vampire Series, and it was a bit slower placed than the first three books. However, it did deliver an explosive ending with a signature series cliffhanger. I’ve become vested in the main characters of this series, which includes Claire, Shane, Eve and Michael. I like how their actions and loyalty toward each other remains consistent from book to book, and it was nice to see Shane begin to accept Michael as a vampire.

In this book, three new baddies enter the town of Morganville, including Amelie’s father Bishop and his two evil sidekicks François and Ysandre. As part of an ancient vampire ritual, they must host a feast for Bishop, but the true intentions of the vampire elite are not revealed until the final hours of the show.

As with the other three books, I was kept riveted with the steady paced events and interested as new characters entered the scene and caused their fair share of havoc. Regardless of this book being a little bit slower paced, it was fun to read and interesting to learn more about the vampire lore. Great series that’s moved to the top of my list as one of my fave vampire series. On to the next installment to see what becomes of Shane’s fate. Why did she give him the book!!!??? Gah!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feast of Fools.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim You'll find out soon enough ^^

~Tina~ So glad your having a blast with these!
Three more to go hun, well, actually two more till this arc is done;) The 7book is a new arc.

message 3: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim If you keep this up you'll be just in time for Kiss of Death. I'm this close to hanging up a calendar just so I can cross out each day that passes.

~Tina~ Same! ~jumps up and down~

message 5: by Arlene (last edited Apr 04, 2010 10:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arlene That's my goal. I want to be done with the next three before KoD comes out.

Question, what do you mean by the 7th books is a new arc? ARC? Advanced readers copy? Not sure.

Oh!! And another quesiton, do you girls get the impression here and there that Claire had feelings for Michael other than just she cares for him as a friend? I mean, I know she's falling in love with Shane, but sometimes her reactions to Michael make me feel like there's more going on there than what is on the surface. Just curious.

message 6: by ~Tina~ (last edited Apr 04, 2010 10:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~Tina~ Sorry, I meant storyline arc. The first 6books focus on this storyline, having the 6th book rap it up. The 7th book still has all the characters but the tone and new plot story is different. So far Caine is contracted for 12books all together in this series. So I'm excited to see that book 7-12 will have this new plot line:)

I thought the same thing about Clarie and her affection towards Michael. But it's nothing. I mean she has eyes right? LOL She knows the man is gorgeous, but I think it's more like a brother-sister devotion then anything else.
Shane and Claire baby! Love them!

Arlene No worries!! I wasn't sure. Thanks for the clarification.

Okay, I kinda guessed that. I mean I can tell she def has feelings for Shane and she's starting to love him, so when her heart flutters for Michael I guess I read in between the lines. LOL I'm so used to all these love triangles in other books, so I was being skeptical. hahaha.

Agreed Shane and Claire belong together. I really liked Shane in Feast of Fools.

~Tina~ I think that's what I love about this series the most. No love triangles! LOL I don't mind them in books, but some how its refreshing for this series:)

message 9: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Tina wrote: "I think that's what I love about this series the most. No love triangles! LOL I don't mind them in books, but some how its refreshing for this series:)"

I know what you mean, I'm suspicious about every guy/girl (depending on the main character's gender) they introduce in a book and I'm constantly trying to figure out if he's trying to get in her/his pants.

~Tina~ Exactly;)

Jessica Adkins hey I'm currently reading this one right now, and I'm confused In the 3rd book didn't Shane get shot by Jason. Because in this book they have mentioned that he was stabed by Jason and nothing about him being shot?

Arlene Great question! I read this over a year ago and if memory serves me correctly, I thought he was stabbed by Jason. I don't have my books on me to double check, so I'm hoping my fellow Bookers will correct me if I'm wrong.

I hope you enjoy them. They are my guilty pleasures. So much fun to read! :)

~Tina~ Shane was stabbed by Jason, not shot;)
I love these books. Tons of fun that never stops. Happy Reading Jessica =D

Arlene Thankies Tina! That's what I thought too. Can't wait for the next one to come out!! :)

Jessica Adkins It wasn't until the bat hit the pavement with a noisy rattle, and Shane collapsed to his knees, that she realized that there was a gun, and Jason had fired it.

And Shane had just been shot.

I just copyed and pasted this from Midnight Alley.

Jessica Adkins rember when Richard was talking to Eve and Claire in the waiting room when Shane was haveing surgy, and he was saying that he had wittness saying that they saw Jason put his knife away, before Shane hit him with the bat. this why I'm confused.

Arlene So he did get sh0t. Okay, my brain needs to be re-charged! LOL So you're saying in this book it's saying he got st@bbed? Bad editors! Bad! Bad!

I really need to re-read this series. Hope you're enjoying them Jessica!

Jessica Adkins and thanks guys for anwering my questions.

Arlene Yes, I remember that part. I don't remember there being a sh0t. I thought he got st@bbed. I don't have my books at the moment, but now I'm curious too.

Jessica Adkins well let me know what you figure out. I don't know why but it's driving me crazy! and thanks again.

Arlene LOL you're welcome!

message 22: by ~Tina~ (last edited Aug 08, 2011 10:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~Tina~ Hmmm, I can't find it where he says he got shot:( On page 174 of Midnight Alley, it says;

Jason punched Shane low in the stomach, and Shane made a surprised sound and took a step back form him.
Shane was backing away...
And then Claire saw the knife in Jason's hand, glistering silver and red, and for a second she didn't understand, she didn't understand at all.
It wasn't until Shane's hand opened and the baseball bat hit the pavement with a noisy rattle, and Shane collapsed to his knees, that she realized that he'd been stabbed.

Now I'm confused:p lol

I really do need to read these books again. Only 2 left and it's all over:( :(

~Tina~ Hey Jessica, are you reading the e-book? Maybe there are to different versions?

Jessica Adkins I'm reading them on onreads.com for free

Jessica Adkins thats so wreid that there maybe 2 different verions

message 26: by Jessica (last edited Aug 08, 2011 11:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jessica Adkins so did Shane hit Jason with the bat in the one you readed?

Arlene Cool site! I'm going to check it out tonight.

From what I remember, Jason did not get hurt, just Shane, but I'm just going by memory.

~Tina~ Nope, in the book version, Jason never got hurt, he took the first swig on Shane and just kept going, then stabbed him.
Wow, that is so weird that there is two versions lol
Cool site though, I'm gonna have to check it out:)

Arlene I love these books. :P they obviously have a permanent stamp on my brain. :D

~Tina~ LOL! Good memory my friend ^^ Once you go Morganville, you can never go back;) lol

Arlene LOL Tina!

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko These books are that good? I haven't had much interest in reading them perhaps I need to reconsider.

Arlene Well there's a group of us that really like them. I've seen mixed reactions so like everything else, different tastes for different readers. I'm pretty addicted to them. :)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Thanks :=). I just ordered Bloodfever and haven't decided if I am a glutton for punishment or not.

message 35: by ~Tina~ (last edited Aug 08, 2011 02:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~Tina~ Arlene wrote: "LOL Tina!

Once you make him N3kkid Shane, you never put his shirt back on. That's my peace. :D"

LMAO!! That's exactly right sista!

NEKKID SHANE!! <3

message 36: by Arlene (last edited Aug 08, 2011 03:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arlene N3KKID SHANE!!!!! N3KKID SHANE!!!

EVERY day is a good day for N3KKID SHANE.

You know I have that programmed in my auto speller on my BB!???

XD

Crystal LMAO I just got back on here and the first thing I see on my feed is NEKKID SHANE!! LOL! I am going to read the 4th one next week!

message 38: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Arlene wrote: "N3KKID SHANE!!!!! N3KKID SHANE!!!

EVERY day is a good day for N3KKID SHANE.

You know I have that programmed in my auto speller on my BB!???

XD"

Where? NEKKID SHANE where? You know you shouldn't say those words it drives me crazy LOL

~Tina~ LMAO! See what you started twinie with all your Nekkid Shane. It's now embedded in our brains!! lol

Crystal, I'm so THRILLED that your liking this series! wOOt!

Arlene Yay Crystal! Keep reading! Keep reading! :)

@ Nic, it drives us all crazy. :)

Crystal LOL I am I am!!! =P