Jewel's Reviews > The Children of Húrin

The Children of Húrin by J.R.R. Tolkien

Feb 10, 2010

Read from October 05 to 10, 2010

I could’ve read this book in one sitting if I had the luxury of time. Like everything I’ve read of Tolkien so far (The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings), I found it engrossing and hard to put down. But don’t expect to have an experience similar to that of reading LOTR. Just as The Hobbit should not be compared in merit with LOTR, so shouldn’t this one, for though they come from the same world (Middle Earth), they’re entirely of different species (much like Elves, Dwarves and Men).

I knew even before I started Chapter One that this was not a book about hope. In LOTR, even in the bleakest moments in The Two Towers, there was hope for as long as Frodo lived. In this book however, the children of Hurin’s doom was ubiquitous and unrelenting. A sad, sad tale all throughout, but so much like a beautiful, melancholic song you like to torture yourself with just because it makes you feel fuzzy.

I’ve read a few reviews of this book that found the narrative style lacking—dismissing it as too cold. The archaic-sounding prose might also be a problem for readers who are only used to modern fiction. The telling is indeed matter of fact and archaic, but I think since it makes the story read like folklore, it rightly serves its purpose.

I kind of guessed at some of the events that would unfold in the tale, but not even that lessened my enjoyment of it.

I would recommend this to anyone who likes tragedies and sad stories in general. You don’t have to have read the more popular works of Tolkien to appreciate this story in itself. Like I mentioned, the language (especially Tolkien’s made up one) could be a problem, but once you get used to the narrative style and all the weird-sounding names, you could end up really liking it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Children of Húrin.

Quotes Jewel Liked

J.R.R. Tolkien
“Let the unseen days be. Today is more than enough.”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Children of Húrin

10/05/2010 page 22
04/21/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by K.D. (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely I have not read anything of Tolkien. Do you suggest I go straight to LOTR or the Hobbit. Many years back I tried reading The Fellowship but I got bored. Any suggestion?

Jewel Hi, K.D. If you're into children's books, start with The Hobbit first. If you're not, maybe you can try to read The Children of Hurin, because it's as much a tragedy in the classical sense as it is fantasy--and a lot more mature. LOTR, however, is Tolkien's best work.

message 3: by K.D. (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely Thanks, Reinaj. I will try The Hobbit before the end of the year.