Sandra's Reviews > An A to Z of Atlantis

An A to Z of Atlantis by Simon Cox

Jan 15, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own, read-in-2011, in-dutch, non-fiction, atlantis
Read from January 12 to 15, 2011

Atlantis has, ever since I saw the Disney movie, been one of my top interests. I find the whole belief in the place fascinating and all of the different ideas people have come up with over time always make for a good read. Therefore I must say, if you've like me read quite a bit on Atlantis, this book won't be able to tell you many new things on the subject. It however discusses a great many different cultures which somehow might have had relations to Atlantis which makes this a very interesting read still.

The book itself is built up like a glossary. After each bit you can see what other texts relate to the topic you've just read about, which makes it unnecessary to read the whole book if you're just interested in a few things. If you however, like me, decide to read the whole book, you should be warned for occasional repeats of certain information.

What however is more a problem I think, is that the book doesn't seem entirely objective. It doesn't seem to favour one theory, but it just has such a strong general belief in Atlantis. I guess you have to be when you write a book on this subject, but it made it hard to judge at times which theories were plausible and which were not. About some theories it was said that they were not possible or that things have been proven wrong, but the majority of them were discussed without these foot notes so you're left wondering. It's nice when you want to make up your own mind, but I still would've favoured a bit more of a subjective approach.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An A to Z of Atlantis.

01/12/2011 page 53
22.0% "Why does Atlantis fascinate me so much? It is sad though, everything I've read so far I already knew, but maybe the rest of the book will hold more surprises for me."
01/13/2011 page 130
54.0% "I do very much like to learn new things. Yes."
show 2 hidden updates…