Erik Simon's Reviews > The Glass Menagerie

The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams

Dec 03, 13

A friend of mine is currently studying under Wynn Handman, the legendary acting coach. During class, someone did a monologue from this play, and Handman was enthralled, as he has been for over six decades, by the poetry of Williams. Handman knew Williams quite well, so he regaled the class with stories. He told of how the two attended a party in the Village that was so crowded that Tennessee was pressed against the wall while Handman was across the room. "I'm immobile, Wynn," Tennessee shouted in his fey, nearly Southern accent.

When I lived in New Orleans, you couldn't go six hours without someone producing a Tennessee Wiliams play or putting on a Tennessee Williams festival. But I've not been back to New Orleans in years, and it has been too long since I've seen or read Tennessee Williams, who must have the greatest name in American literature. (Elizabeth Bishop claimed that Tennessee was the loveliest sounding word ever.)

The other night, my dog woke me in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. He had diarrhea, and since I knew I was going to be up for a while, I decided to crack open THE GLASS MENAGERIE. I had forgotten how unutterably beautiful it is, how nearly flawless, how deeply moving. If you too have forgotten . . . blow out your candles--and so good-bye.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glass Menagerie.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sparrow I have only seen terrible productions of this play, and still people can't seem to ruin it. It's beautiful no matter how badly people try to make it awkward.

message 2: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Chandler A beautifully written review.