Garland Vance's Reviews > Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us

Drive by Daniel H. Pink

Feb 27, 2013

bookshelves: 2013, d-min-reading, kindle, leadership-practice
Read from February 17 to 27, 2013

What motivates you and the people around you? Is it money, rewards, recognition? Are kids motivated to work harder on their chores when they are paid for them? What drives people to work hard to accomplish their goals?

These are some of the questions that Drive seeks to answer. Daniel Pink believes that we are encountering the third wave of motivation. Motivation 1.0 was driven by biological needs to stay alive. Motivation 2.0 needed to stay engaged while doing monotonous tasks over and over again. But Motivation 3.0 is driven by autonomy, mastery and purpose. We are living in this time because so many of the biological needs have been easily provided for (e.g. We don't have to hunt; just go to the butcher) and because many monotonous tasks in life can be done through technology or outsourcing. Thus, we are more free to concentrate on challenging tasks that require creativity, mastery of a skill set, and that can provide our lives with a sense of purpose.

I would recommend this book for leaders who feel frustrated because they can't "get their people motivated" or others who are fascinated with personal growth. The book is a very easy yet engaging read and is worth the time spent to understand autonomy, mastery and purpose.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drive.