Rachel's Reviews > The God of the Hive

The God of the Hive by Laurie R. King

Feb 09, 10

bookshelves: mystery
Read in February, 2010

I won a signed ARC! Yay! This was an extremely satisfying ending to the cliffhanger in book 9. It follows Russell and Holmes separately, as they each make their way back to London after the disastrous events of the last book. Along the way, Russell meets and is aided by an odd man, Robert Goodman, who hides strange secrets. It's hard to say much about the book without spoilers, but they each find even more disastrous news in the paper, and events proceed to an exciting and decisive conclusion.

Things I liked about the book: parts are told from the points of view of both Holmes and Russell, and I thought the contrast between the thought processes and conclusions of each of them was well done and interesting. We see why Holmes correctly avoids one city, but why Russell logically doesn't. I also liked Goodman a lot, and thought he added enormously to the story. His presence tied in with the theme of the two books really well -- I see why King wanted to call the book The Green Man, and I agree with her. The book was far more about Goodman and legend than it was about Mycroft and the villain. I also liked Estelle -- she was preternaturally well behaved in the first book, and while she was still precocious in this book, she definitely had preschooler moments. As a mom, I relate to both that and Russell's somewhat random and fearful attempts to appease her.

There was a lot more action in this book than in previous ones, or maybe it just felt that way because the stakes were higher. I think this was one of the better books in the series, and I really enjoyed it. I wouldn't recommend starting with this book, since it's the second half of a story, and assumes a lot of knowledge of the characters, but for Holmes/Russell fans, this is an excellent addition to the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The God of the Hive.