Daniel's Reviews > Into the Land of the Unicorns

Into the Land of the Unicorns by Bruce Coville

Feb 09, 10

bookshelves: childrens-books, scifi-fantasy, young-adult
Read in February, 2010 — I own a copy

Bruce Coville is one of the best fantasy writers out there. Because he tends to write toward the younger market, many adults aren't familiar with him, which is a shame.

I first read this many years ago, when I was reading children's books at a tremendous rate. It's possible that this was one of the first Coville books I read. I immediately became enchanted by the book and by Coville's work, which I have sought out on a regular basis.

This book came off the shelf again the other day as I was looking for something to read aloud to my boys (ages 10 & 12) at bedtime. Although both will read on their own, they enjoy having me read to them. I chose this book because I knew they weren't likely to read it on their own (unicorns and a female protagonist made this seem a little too 'girly' for them). They absolutely loved it!

It was hard to stop at night, because both boys would want 'just one more chapter'.

Coville does a good job here by making the unicorns male, to balance the fact that the main human character is female. Throw in a creature that resembles a half man, half bear; a Disney-ish squirrel-like creature called a Squijum; a dwarf, a dragon, and a whole glory of unicorns, and you have one of the most unique fantasy stories around.

The book is a quick and easy read, and we're already well in to book #2.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Land of the Unicorns.