Claudia's Reviews > The Only Alien on the Planet

The Only Alien on the Planet by Kristen D. Randle

Feb 15, 10

bookshelves: ya-books, wishlist
Recommended to Claudia by: Stephanie Aitken
Recommended for: all my students
Read in February, 2010

Wow! What a moving, deep book. And WHY have I never heard of it? Ginny's senior year has been destroyed by her parents who move her thousands of miles away from her home and then plop her in a new school. Her first day of class introduces her to people who will become extremely important: Hally and Smitty. Smitty is called the Alien, a brilliant, uninvolved, silent kid who seems to float through life, literally not saying a word since his near-drowning accident when he was two. Ginny becomes intrigued, and with her new neighbor, tries to figure Smitty out.

Randle writes from the heart; she has her characters observe life with positive souls. There's such a feeling of support among these kids who are doing their best to be friends with a boy who may or may not be there...he may actually be that alien his classmates call him. Ginny learns so much about herself as she tries to learn about Smitty. Big, Big ideas are explored in this book: Family, friendship, our emotional life, forgiveness, our human-ness.

There's already a waiting list for this one, and I'm eager to find more of Randle's work. Ginny and Smitty will stay with me for a long time. Is Smitty the alien, or are we?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Only Alien on the Planet.

Stephanie I'm so glad you loved this book! Please let me know what your students think as they read it. This book is one of those "best friends" that stays within reach on the shelf. Today, I just finished it with my first class that I've ever read to. I'm still surprised at who is drawn in by this book no matter what their background.

Claudia I THOUGHT I had written to you! Meagan grabbed it right away and comes up to talk every day. On Wed., the last day I saw her, she had just gotten to the EAST OF EDEN scene where Michael runs out of the theater crying. We also talked about how amazing her OWN brothers are, and she doesn't know yet they're foils for Michael's brother!

I'm so glad you're sharing your passion for this book with your students...that's such a powerful lesson! Keep reading.