Kat Kennedy's Reviews > Hush, Hush

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
3270188
How I Would Have Ended It

*This post was inspired by the fan­tas­tic videos over at www.howitshouldhaveended.com. Ital­i­cized text is the orig­i­nal pub­li­cized text from the book and is entirely the work of Becca Fitzpatrick.

This ren­di­tion is entirely satire. It is not meant to offend and I mean no dis­cour­tesy. I rec­og­nize that authors put a lot of time and work into their nov­els and I am not try­ing to dis­re­spect that. Writ­ing a novel is hard work and is some­thing I have never done and I cer­tainly don’t think I could do a bet­ter job. I am sim­ply, with light-hearted inten­tion, using humour and imag­i­na­tion to spark book dis­cus­sion and fun and point out some issues I had with the novel.

And lastly, please don’t sue me. I have no money. And I have chil­dren to feed. And I have a cat to feed as well. You wouldn’t want a cat to go with­out food, would you? Also, pretty please with a cherry on top. I’ll be your friend?*


I was backed up against the counter, my palms dig­ging into the edge. “You’re mad because I didn’t go to Del­phic.” I raised one shaky shoul­der. “Why Del­phic, Patch? It’s Sun­day night. Del­phic will be clos­ing soon. Any spe­cial rea­son you wanted me to drive to a dark, soon-to-be deserted amuse­ment park?”

He walked toward me until he was stand­ing close enough that I could see his black eyes beneath his ball cap.

“Dabria told me you have to sac­ri­fice me to get a human body,” I said.

Patch was quiet a moment. “And you think I’d go through with it?”

I swal­lowed. “Then it’s true?”

Our eyes locked. “It has to be an inten­tional sac­ri­fice. Sim­ply killing you won’t do it.”

“Are you the only per­son who can do this to me?”

“No, but I’m prob­a­bly the only per­son who knows the end result, and the only per­son who would attempt it. It’s the rea­son I came to school. I had to get close to you. I needed you. It’s the rea­son I walked into your life.”

I looked at him for a moment, his intense gaze shoot­ing through me as I con­sid­ered the infor­ma­tion he’d just confirmed.


“Okay,” I said, straight­en­ing up and slip­ping out from his over­bear­ing pres­ence to put some space between us.

“Okay?”

“Okay, I’m out of here.”

“You can’t go!” Patch said, his face twist­ing into a con­fused expression.

“Well, you’ve pretty much admit­ted that you were going to kill me, in a very per­sonal way, might I add. I think that jus­ti­fies a quick and hasty exit,” I spat at him, straight­en­ing my out­fit in indig­na­tion and stand­ing up to him with more con­fi­dence than I felt.

Patch splut­tered for a moment, blink­ing his eyes dis­be­liev­ingly. “But… I wasn’t… I mean…” he looked lost for a moment before vis­i­bly col­lect­ing him­self and slip­ping back into his usual, con­fi­dent demeanor. “You want me to come clean, I will. I’ll tell you every­thing. Who I am and what I’ve done. Every last detail. I’ll dig it all up, but you have to ask. You have to want it. You can see who I was, or you can see who I am now. I’m not good,” he said, pierc­ing me with eyes that absorbed all light but reflected none, “but I was worse.”

I arched an eye­brow and stared at him in dis­be­lief. “Well, I have a dif­fer­ent plan, Patch. Mainly revolv­ing around the fact that you pur­posely entered my life in order to stalk, harass and mur­der me for your nefar­i­ous schemes. So I think this would be a pretty good time for you to quit the mys­te­ri­ous bull­shit and be extremely trans­par­ent about every­thing I need to know. I mean, you haven’t even assured me, at this point, that you’re not actu­ally going to kill me. And I don’t mean to harp on this point – but that’s a pretty impor­tant facet of this dis­cus­sion for me.”

He stalked close to me again, affect­ing a brood­ing, intense expres­sion and caus­ing my heart to thud painfully in my chest. His boots were flush with the toes of my ten­nis shoes. “I’m not going to kill you, Nora. I don’t kill peo­ple who are impor­tant to me. And you top the list.”

I exerted con­sid­er­able effort to con­tain an eye­roll, but it slipped through at the last minute. “You’re imping­ing on my pri­vate space,” I said, inch­ing back­ward in dis­taste.

Patch gave a barely-there smile. “Imping­ing? This isn’t the SAT, Nora.”

I pressed my finger-tips to his chest. He glanced at the spot where we touched and then back up to my eyes. “If my vocab­u­lary is caus­ing you dis­tress,” I whis­pered huskily, look­ing up to him with a wicked smile on my face, “then let me express my dis­plea­sure in the only way you seem to understand.”

Patch’s brow creased in con­fu­sion a moment before my heel came down hard on his instep. He hopped back in pain, look­ing at me with both hurt and bewil­der­ment. “Per­sonal bound­aries, Patch. Respect them when I ask you to. See, I have this rule about let­ting would-be mur­der­ers within ten feet of my very stab-able body. Now, tell me. Is Dabria going to be com­ing after me.”

Patch, mirac­u­lously less inter­ested in encroach­ing on my per­sonal space, shrugged from where he was. “You could take her, Angel,” he said. “I’ve seen both of you in action,” he looked down at his injured foot and winked, “and my bet’s on you. You don’t need me for that.”

“I don’t think I need you for much of any­thing,” I sneered, turn­ing on him and head­ing to the door.

“Door’s locked,” he said from behind me. “And we have unfin­ished business.”

“Lis­ten, the only unfin­ished busi­ness we have is between my knee and your crotch if you come near me again.”

The cell phone in my pocket rang to life. “In fact,” I said as I pulled it out, “you’re going to go away and I don’t ever, EVER want to see your broody, mopey face again. You have for­ever cured me of bad­boys. When this is over, it’s strictly account­ing nerds and bank­ing types for me! This was absolutely the WORST way to pun­ish my mother for her absence, assert my inde­pen­dence and act out my grief from los­ing my father. I should have just stolen money from my mother’s purse and bought alco­hol like a NORMAL teenager!” I pressed the accept but­ton on my cell. “What?!”

“Babe!” Vee said. We had a bad con­nec­tion, the crack­led of sta­tic cut­ting across her voice. “Where are you?”

“Where are you? Are you still with Elliot and Jules?” I flat­tened a hand against my free ear to hear better.

“I’m at school. We broke in,” she said in a voice that was naughty to per­fec­tion. “We want to play hide-and-seek but don’t have enough peo­ple for two teams. So… do you know of a fourth per­son who could come play with us?”

An inco­her­ent voice mum­bled in the background.

“Elliot wants me to tell you that if you don’t come be his part­ner –hang on- what?” Vee said into the background.

Elliot’s voice came on. “Nora? Come play with us. Oth­er­wise, there’s a tree in the com­mon area with Vee’s name on it.”


I groaned in dis­be­lief and promised myself that if I sur­vived this, I’d choose friends who weren’t com­plete and utter dumbasses.

“Who was that?” Patch asked.

I sighed heav­ily. “That was my brain­less, drop­kick friend phon­ing me to pass along the mes­sage that Elliot and Jules are going to mur­der her vio­lently unless I go meet up with them.”

“What was that you were say­ing about never again see­ing my broody, mop­ing face?” Patch asked, his con­fi­dence returned tri­fold and an enor­mous grin spread across his face.

I resisted the urge to smash my face into the tiled wall repeat­edly. “Oh, shut up and come on. I’ll prob­a­bly end up nobly sac­ri­fic­ing myself and sav­ing your ass any­way, so cut the shit, Patch.”

He unlocked and opened the door, let­ting me out ahead of him.

“Still going to set­tle for an accoun­tant or banker?”

“You had bet­ter be so damn awe­some in bed or I am going to stab you through the eye with your own lit­er­al­ized ego.”

“I have ninety-nine prob­lems, Nora, but per­for­mance in the sack is NOT one of them.”

The end.

471 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hush, Hush.
sign in »

Comments (showing 1-50 of 138) (138 new)


Erin You know who has the worst fashion sense? Laurell K. Hamilton! She dresses her poor characters in things that 95% of New York City's homeless population would shun.


Nishtha Funny review!!
But I got say this is not really as bad as you put it out!!
I agree with the hole Nora being like Bella, this is soo funny!! I think you just got caught up in the whole Nora is just like Bella so this book is crap, no offense.

I agree with Vee being the the most annoying character ever made. Even worse thing is that I have a girl at my college who is exactly I mean exactly like her!! Big boned, loud and annoying. Its like the author specifically took the character from her.

And


Laura the Highland Hussy The thing is, my novel shouldn't be judged based on how many author's asses I've kissed. Nor should it be dismissed because I'm an unrepentant, opinionated bitch with no problems expressing myself. It should be judged on whether a publisher thinks it's going to be profitable, commercial and appropriate to print. The readers should then judge it on the exact same criteria that I just judged Fitzpatrick. And if I don't meet the fucking grade then I need to get better until I do.


::Laurie is clapping::


message 4: by Tatiana (last edited Mar 01, 2011 08:17PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Tatiana It was about time to review this thing properly, Kat. Good job. I am proud of you. All those bitchy pills weren't wasted on you:)


Kat Kennedy I know, I know!


message 6: by Laura the Highland Hussy (last edited Mar 01, 2011 08:43PM) (new)

Laura the Highland Hussy You know something that NO ONE brought up once in that "Be Nice" argument?

I have a young daughter. Before I buy her books, I jump on GR and check out reviews. I have a few friends who just LOVE YA, so I'm usually able to get a non-fangirl review for whatever book I'm looking up.

If my daughter read about
Patch, unlike Edward and Sam from Twilight and Shiver, actually has a pair of balls and has not been completely emasculated. Then he uses them to sexually harass and intimidate Nora for almost the entire book. He manoeuvres her into dangerous situations with the apparent intention of either killing her or force seducing her. It's not really obvious while reading this book until you get to the end and discover {spoiler removed}...

I'd be PISSED!!! I don't want my daughter reading about that...yet. Once she's a bit older, that's fine, but not now, not yet. This is the whole damn point of a review! To let me know what it's about and what's in it. If it's not honest, and I let my daughter read this, isn't that false advertising?

**Why wasn't that addressed in reviews? These are YA books, meant for tweens and teens as the target audience.**

Based on the reviews, I would read it, but in no way would I let my daughter read it.


message 7: by Megan (last edited Mar 01, 2011 09:03PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Megan On one hand, I get what Becca Fitzpatrick is saying ~ generally it doesn't pay to be an asshole. But on the other hand, this is a free website whose main participants are not professional writers or reviewers. Therefore what obligation or motivation does anyone here have to "be nice"? Besides, out of all of the scathing, snarky, negative reviews I have enjoyed read, very few of them simply say, "This is crap." So many negative reviews are thoughtful, and take care to point out what exactly didn't work for the reviewer. How awesome is that, thin skinned authors? Free feedback & critiques of your work, right here on Goodreads ;)

Besides, Fitzpatrick has made a butt load of money from her series ~ is it really so bad that people don't like it??? Clearly, lots of tards people love her books, so why isn't that good enough for her? *rolls eyes*

Anyway, great review Ms. Schmid =)


message 8: by Kat Kennedy (last edited Mar 01, 2011 09:18PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Kat Kennedy Megan, it's funny because most people, in replying to Fitzpatrick's blog post, mentioned that negative, reasonable reviews are necessary.

Yet I'm probably one of the more...er... passionate or (who am I kidding) unreasonably bitchy reviewers there are. Thus probably the prime candidate for a blog post about being nice.

Yet, I still take exception. I'm the product of THEIR books. Books are not bath mats. Reviews that ellicit about as much passion for a book as it does about a bath mat - is, in my opinion, WORSE.

I get passionate because books are a work of art. I'm SUPPOSED to be passionate about literature. Isn't that the point? Since when is art reasonable. You want to be reasonable, use that piece of marble to hold up a roof, not turn it into a sculpture!

Why do I tear apart YA literature? It sure as hell isn't because I HATE it. It's because I love it. I see its potential, I see the little nuggets of gold and I get pissed off when bad books bury them in dirt.

Jillian - you are so bloody right. What is the product of not pushing authors to get better? They produce mediocre literature which damages the whole genre. I couldn't agree more.


Misty Well said, Ms Schmid. ;p


message 10: by Cory (new) - rated it 1 star

Cory This was so painful, I had my sister read the last 100 pages for me. I don't know how, but this has received negative stars in my book. How Fitzpatrick can create a character that's more abusive than Edward Cullen, and pass him off as a suitable teenage love interest is beyond me.

Oh, and your pictures are awesome as usual.


Laura the Highland Hussy You know what? on BecFitz's blog, she wrote this in response to Katiebabs:

I think it all boils down to what you feel comfortable with. If honesty is your main goal, I think it's important to reflect that in your reviews.

I love that she says that, but her blog post itself had such a different tone. She didn't say "be honest" in your reviews, she said "be nice."


Penny Frances? I say you go with Francoise, it's more sexy and dangerous sounding.

As for your review: Five stars. It. Is. Amazing.


message 13: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Marry me.


message 14: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa I was warned off this book by a friend that shares my reading interests. I always wondered how bad it was exactly and what was wrong with it though. I'm glad you answered those questions, even if I never thought about reading the book to answer those questions.

And it is true that the 'bitchy' reviews are needed, even if they may hurt an author's feelings (I'm also an an aspiring author) because readers should be well informed before they decide to invest money and time into a potentially disastrous book. Just because someone got published doesn't mean that everything they write is gold. They should Always be pushing themselves to be better writers because there is always room for improvement.

I also think authors in general should think of their work less like “perfect little snowflake, how can you not love it” and more a piece of, and I know this is crazy, art. Bad reviews are in the contract when you put anything artistic out.

As always, thanks for your outrageously funny, thoughtful, and honest reviews.


message 15: by Neşe (new) - rated it 1 star

Neşe great review kat! :)


Morgan F Kat, your review, and a few of the following comments are very wellsaid and thoughtful. And I completely agree.


Ceilidh Bravo my good friend/fellow bitchy reviewer, bravo!

Hmm, Fitzpatrick's reply to Katie sounds like a sudden change of tone. Backtrack Becca, backtrack for your life! Frankly, I applaud reviews like this because we shouldn't be tip toeing around what is essentially a positive portrayal of abuse in a teenage relationship, or at least one where it's acceptable because apparently that's how love/lust works. We HAVE to do better than this, as writers and as a society, and I genuinely think reviews like this, where people have taken the time to examine the events in front of them, are a huge help and a step in the right direction.


Vasya Damn, lick it up, lick it good... Fitzpatrick must have sure kissed and licked some serious ASSES... Because her books are just horrible... Hush, Hush was a book that was so much talked about, and when I read it, I expected something STUPENDOUS, and it was utter crap. I hate books where love revolves around STALKING...

THERE IS A REASON THERE ARE RESTRAINING ORDERS, AND THERE IS NOTHING ROMANTIC ABOUT PEEPING, GOT IT?

You did an awesome job with this review, Francois, because we're used to that from you... When a book is good, you'll say so, when it's not... TOO BAD THE MOTHA EFFERS DIDN'T TAKE YOU AS AN EDITOR :)


message 19: by Megan (last edited Mar 02, 2011 04:31AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Megan Kat wrote: "Megan, it's funny because most people, in replying to Fitzpatrick's blog post, mentioned that negative, reasonable reviews are necessary.

Yet I'm probably one of the more...er... passionate or (wh..."


Negative reviews are absolutely necessary! How often do you find them from professional reviews? Hardly ever, right? Before GR, finding a favorite author/book/series could be frustrating simply because every review is a little glowing. Professionals will, as B.F. said, talk up the good ones ~ but I, and I'm sure so many other people on GR, have bought & read crap books because of the professional reviewers.

So many people have said so many times they love the honesty & frankness found on GR and similar websites. Although I've always been a voracious reader, since coming here I've read and discovered so many more books, authors & series thanks to bitchy reviewers ~ such as yourself ;) whose opinion I actually trust. When I read/see/hear a professional review now the first thing I do is check out the book here on GR ~ and view both positive and negative reviews before deciding whether to read it.

Again, you're right ~ most people don't write negative reviews because they hate a genre. They do it because they are passionate about reading. Yes, writing is an art form, and yes it should inspire strong feelings. And of course it should be able to withstand harsh critique.

I wish B.F. ~ since she is obviously so affected by this, would be inspired by all of the negative reviews and write the mother of all angsty, YA's ~ or keep quite while she cashes her checks, lol! But to tell anyone not to voice their negative opinions? Shame on her!


message 20: by Lucy (new) - rated it 1 star

Lucy My work computer has issues with how some images are hosted. I had two options. Crank out the blackberry or wait until later. Glad I'm an impatient bitch. Excellent review Kat. You expressed everything on the post and the book so well. I'm so glad I found you months ago and get to read stuff like this


message 21: by Nora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nora Wow to that! Great review. Keep being selective!


Tatiana Speaking on BF's blog, did that thread get cleaned up? I feel like a lot is missing...


Penny Yeah. Someone deleted their comments then deleted their profile. lIndsey, I believe.


Tatiana I feel like even more is missing. Maybe I am just imagining things...


Penny Huh. I'll have to go read it again and see if someone else deleted their comments since yesterday.


message 26: by Vinaya (last edited Mar 02, 2011 06:26AM) (new)

Vinaya No, Tatiana, you're right, there was one last comment from Lindsey about how she though GR would be better than Facebook and My Space, etc etc which she left behind when she deleted her other posts, and now that's gone too!

...why do I know this?!! That thread has totally taken on a life of its own. Pity we didn't all post on BF's blog, she wouldn't have gotten away with ignoring it so easily, then!


Tatiana I don't have it in me to confront an author so openly. I am sure she knows all about what people think about her books by now. But as long as they are bestsellers, what's our outrage to her?


Synesthesia (SPIDERS!) Good review.
I wonder if I'm weird for thinking that spider is so cute.


Vasya Vinaya wrote: "No, Tatiana, you're right, there was one last comment from Lindsey about how she though GR would be better than Facebook and My Space, etc etc which she left behind when she deleted her other posts..."

Well, she's being nice and not allowing someone to speak badly of her books and her writing on her blog... Guess that being sheep is so very much nice to those authors... just put a few stars, glitter and a rainbow on your review and it's all set...


message 30: by Cory (new) - rated it 1 star

Cory Vinaya wrote: "No, Tatiana, you're right, there was one last comment from Lindsey about how she though GR would be better than Facebook and My Space, etc etc which she left behind when she deleted her other posts..."

That would have been awesome if that had been on her blog. She probably would have freaked out and deleted our comments. Or worse. She could have called the YA police on us. Or called her God, Stephanie Meyer and sicced Seth on us.


message 31: by Vinaya (last edited Mar 02, 2011 06:42AM) (new)

Vinaya Tatiana, that's the thing that's puzzled me about her and the rest of the YA clique forever. Take for example Lani Woodland. She's pretty active on GR, and she tends to befriend people who review her novels, and admittedly she has gotten mostly good reviews, but she doesn't jump down the throat of people who don't like her book. And she's only a mid-level author, at best. You'd think she'd be even more sensitive to criticism than million-dollar bestsellers like BF. But she's very sweet. This leads one of two hypotheses - that as a mid-level author she can't get away with trying to preach/threaten reviewers unlike the biggies who have enough in sales and fangirls to ignore the naysayers; or, she's just a nice person. Either way, it doesn't speak well of the YA clique.


message 32: by Lucy (new) - rated it 1 star

Lucy I think I'm going to delete any authors I friended. I don't want to feel them breathing over my shoulder when I review. Honestly the reviews have to be important to them if we get this much backlash


Tatiana I don't friend authors. I mostly "fan" and follow them - the one-way communication is much better IMO.


Synesthesia (SPIDERS!) I would not want to delete neil

Perhaps they need the criticism. I know I'd want to become a better writer.
Providing that people were very gentle with me as I'm sensitive.

Seriously, I'm the only one who thinks that spider is adorable?

Also, I think i'd date that spider over Patch or any of these jerks.


message 35: by Cory (new) - rated it 1 star

Cory Synesthesia wrote: "Also, I think i'd date that spider over Patch or any of these jerks."

Your life would be at risk either way.


message 36: by Katie(babs) (last edited Mar 02, 2011 07:22AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Katie(babs) Oh wow a shot out. *blush*

I will say the one scene I did enjoy in Hush, Hush was when Patch and Nora were on the rollercoaster. I was hoping for some hot action like the scene in the movie Fear where Marky Mark got naughty with Reece. But alas that didn't happen and I really thought one would fall out of the car. Alas, that didn't happen either.


Katie(babs) BTW, Patch does have one redeemable quality. He can book. But then again, as he's slicing, he's deciding if he should slice up Nora in her kitchen. O.o


message 38: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Lee Like a major publishing house would ever say: "You know, this manuscript is amazing and all and will be an international bestseller in turn generating loads of cash for our publishing house, but I'm sorry new author, we are going to have to pass. Why? Franky, we heard through the grapevine that you are a meanie to the nth degree, because you paid for a book and ended up writing a negative review. *shudder* That behavior is un-ac-ceptable! Since when is freedom of speech and criticism allowed in this world? Ug, disgusting behavior, which is why we are taking a stand and saying no to mucho dinero!!! And what's worse, you hurt -insert YA author (s) name here - 's feelings. The feelings of our client, what's their name again? is way too important than money and thriving in this suppressed economy. So there. And while you're at it, go stand in a corner and think about what you've done!!!

And, am I that fecktarded to believe that publishing houses are spending their precious time looking up countless reviews on Goodreads and keeping a spreadsheet containing the names and other intel of nefarious reviewers who one star'd their published books? Yeah, like they have that time. That is not only an insult to them as professionals, but to reviewers' intelligence as well.


Samina ~ Escapism~ Oh Kat the review is awesome. You rock!


message 40: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Kat wrote: "Megan, it's funny because most people, in replying to Fitzpatrick's blog post, mentioned that negative, reasonable reviews are necessary.

Yet I'm probably one of the more...er... passionate or (wh..."


This....

Loved the review and sentiment behind it.


message 41: by Anila (new) - rated it 1 star

Anila Writers and authors, me being one of them, need to eat some cement and harden the fuck up.

HELL YES.
I read the entire conclusion of your review- profanity and all- aloud to my friend here in the school library. We agree: Kat, you are made of awesome.


Kat Kennedy Wow, I go to sleep and come back to so many great comments!

Kelly, I HOPE you're right. I really, really do! Because if you're not then I'm screwed and won't ever get published. But I'm glad that, as an author, you agree and see the ridiculousness in this "be nice - make cash" attitude.

Synthesia, YES you are the ONLY one that thinks that spider is cute. That spider is EEEVVIIILLLL!

Tatiana, the thread was still entertaining but, yes, it seems to have gotten very clean.


-k The Lady Critic Your "review" made me laugh and you're right; people are too soft and easy to upset especially in this business.
This is spectacular.


message 44: by Lucy (new) - rated it 1 star

Lucy I'm pretty sure Becca Fitzpatrick is aware of the issues people had with her post now although she's being mum on goodreads.


Penny So I made this listopia list for QUALITY YA PARANORMAL ROMANCE NOVELS (http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/90... Yeah I COULD link it but I'm being lazy). I specifically state that I'm talking about the good stuff. Paranormal romances which are well written, have likable, intelligent protagonists (who don't stoop to using their sexuality as a weapon), non-abusive heroes and so forth. Basically anything that doesn't make you wanna gag and/or punch someone in the face (*coughFALLENcough*).

Guess what? Fitzpatrick's Hush, Hush and the works of Cassandra Clare (Ms Clare's book is #1) have been added to the list. I'm horrified.

I'd be grateful if you girls ran over there and contributed your own votes (need to vote that shit down). Thanks.


message 46: by Laura the Highland Hussy (last edited Mar 02, 2011 08:41PM) (new)

Laura the Highland Hussy guys, this is great :)

Holly Black wrote a post on the YA Mafia. It's nice to get another author's opinion
http://blackholly.livejournal.com/148...


message 47: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 02, 2011 09:19PM) (new)

Kelly wrote: Like a major publishing house would ever say: "You know, this manuscript is amazing and all and will be an international bestseller in turn generating loads of cash for our publishing house, but I'm sorry new author, we are going to have to pass. Why? Franky, we heard through the grapevine that you are a meanie to the nth degree, because you paid for a book and ended up writing a negative review. *shudder* That behavior is un-ac-ceptable! Since when is freedom of speech and criticism allowed in this world? Ug, disgusting behavior, which is why we are taking a stand and saying no to mucho dinero!!! And what's worse, you hurt -insert YA author (s) name here - 's feelings. The feelings of our client, what's their name again? is way too important than money and thriving in this suppressed economy. So there. And while you're at it, go stand in a corner and think about what you've done!!!

*applauds*

Kat/Francois, love the review.

Kat wrote: It's very rare that a book doesn't get SOMETHING right. Usually, even if the protagonists are crap, the supporting characters are okay, or the plot isn't too bad, or the writing is at least solid or even the concept is interesting.

For this book, it's a no, no, no, no, NO!


Love it! And I love your passionate response to the infamous Be Nice post and discussion (sounds like it's been heavily edited by some participants since I read it!). That really opened my startled eyes to the depths BF could sink to - what a petulant, illogical and unreasonable post! - and actually made me search out other reviews for her work, which made for entertaining reading ;)


Kat Kennedy Thanks for sharing that link, Laura.

Is Holly Black a little confused though?

The blog post seems to go along the lines of, "Negative reviews will not destroy your career, guys! Don't be silly! BUT EVERYTHING YOU SAY WILL HAVE AN EFFECT! EVERY WORD! ROWR!!!!!!!"

Also, while I completely agree that there is probably no YA Mafia... well... this is the woman who made Cassandra Clare's career possible. Obviously having the right friends is of great benefit in this industry.


Laura the Highland Hussy I think she wrote off of comments about it, I'm not sure she read becFitz actual blog. But I like that she thinks it's retarded for a small group of authors to blurb each others' books.

One point really quickly about the GR blog post, BecFitz (if she's not active here on GR-I don't know) may not have seen the comments. Her blog is linked so any blog post she writes will automatically post here. Mine is like that too, it's just part of having an "author profile."
I comment on mine here because I haunt GR all the time, but some authors never comment because they aren't all over GR


message 50: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe I left a comment on the Holly Black post, but I feel like my attempt at reaching out an olive branch wasn't all that successful. Ah well.


« previous 1 3
back to top