jeremy's Reviews > Super Sunday in Newport: Notes from My First Year in Town

Super Sunday in Newport by Matt Love

Feb 11, 10

bookshelves: oregon
Read in February, 2010

matt love epitomizes the oregon writer. i first learned of matt's work via a reading of citadel of the spirit, an anthology of oregon writing he edited in honor of our beloved state's sesquicentennial. as well, he authors an infrequent blog for powells.com ("on oregon"). after ten years of serving as the caretaker of the nestucca bay national wildlife refuge (near pacific city), love returned to teaching and has since been publishing with fervor.

super sunday in newport: notes from my first year in town recounts love's first year in the coastal oregon town (and home of the world's finest brewery: rogue ales!). comprised of brief essays that were originally read at a weekly open mic, super sunday in newport touches upon a number of themes as diverse as environmental conservation, politics, dogs, beaches, teaching, writing, mischief, music, fishing, and all things beaver state. love is quite the gifted writer, and his work is, at turns, touching, poignant, hilarious, insightful, spirited, playful, contrarian, and unabashed. the two qualities that shine brightest in his writing are his candor and commitment (seemingly to whatever he turns his attention to). this is, indeed, a love letter to newport and our state at-large, but more than that it is an enchanting work that would appeal to anyone that realizes the brilliance of a particular place resides in the small details often overlooked, in the people that infuse a place with its character, in the stories that shape its history, and in the landscape the shapes everything around it.

what a glorious sight to behold! all those wet suits, forty-ouncers, families, boogie boarders, senior citizens, and transgenders, all doing their respective things on the sand, right out in the open without fences, cabanas, hotdog stands, espresso carts, and fat security guards wearing headsets telling anyone how much time they had left before they had to pay for extra time. this is oregon! we demand the right to enjoy our publicly-owned ocean beaches like texans demand the right to inflict capital punishment!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Super Sunday in Newport.