Greta is Erikasbuddy's Reviews > The Clan of the Cave Bear

The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel

Dec 10, 2012

bookshelves: i-love-my-library, read-multiple-times
Read from November 24 to December 10, 2012

I first learned of "Clan of the Cave Bear" back in 1996 when I was 17 years old. My boyfriend (at the time/now my husband) had the VHS of the movie and we watched it one night with his family. We were thourly amused by the hand signal that meant mate.

After I watched it a couple of times, his Mother showed me that it was also a book. It took me a while summer to read. It was one big long... shut your mouth!

17 years later, I decided that I wanted to read it again. I found that I had forgotten most of the story and it was brand new to me.

It's a brilliant story that starts with a 5 year old girl named Ayla. You watch her grow up and endure her trials and tribulations into an adopted clan that she is not a part of. For they look short, squat, strong, and bowed while she is tall, lean, and graceful. But, they accept her.

She is adopted by the medicine woman and her brother the Mo-gur (high priest). Together they raise the child. She's a good child but makes mistakes. But once she becomes woman she learns her faults and tries to stay on the Clan's path.

Ayla's biggest rival is Broud. He is the son of Brun (the leader) and in my opinion is a big poopy head.

This story isn't just a novel, it's an epic journey and the way it ended had me screaming. I forget the way it ended and now I'm itching for the next.

If you ever wanted to know what life for a cave dwelling clan in pre-historic times was like - then this is that book. Sure, there are no dinosaurs but there are cave lions, furry rhinos, mammoths, and cave bears. It's absolutely amazing. I think everyone should read this book once in their life.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Clan of the Cave Bear.