Christina's Reviews > How Stella Got Her Groove Back

Feb 09, 10

bookshelves: 52-books-in-52-weeks
Recommended for: Older women
Read from February 03 to 05, 2010, read count: 1

I've seen this movie plenty of times, but never read the book to understand the emotions Stella had towards Winston. In my opinion, and I could be wrong because I'm younger, but Stella had a huge wall up towards Winston, and the age difference between them. She could not get over the fact that she was so much older than him, and it created so much unwanted tension in their relationship.

I'm not a big fan of Terry McMillan, but her Stella character grated on my nerves, and I was happy to be finished with the book. I would only recommend this book to older women who may be going through a similar situation, someone who thought about dating a younger man, or someone who may be hesitant in dating a younger man.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Stella Got Her Groove Back.

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary I read this book when it first came out... when Terry was up in the charts. Though I thought the book was better than the movie, it was not her best. I thought it was weak because she simply "lifted" it from her experience.

To me, her best was "Disappearing Acts" (which was better than the movie). I also liked "Waiting to Exhale" before the movie.

Christina I have the "Waiting to Exhale" book, but I tried to read it, and it just didn't grab me to continue reading. I don't think I got through the first chapter... I did like the movie, but couldn't seem to get through the book. I may try "Disappearing Acts" at one time in the future, but she doesn't strike me as a strong writer.