R. C.'s Reviews > The Moosewood Cookbook: Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant, Ithaca, New York

The Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen

Feb 09, 10

Read in February, 2010

I sat down to meal plan one day and ended up reading this book cover to cover. It was a pretty interesting cookbook. I of course knew it would be, having hung out for a decade with interesting cooks who love it. I remember an unschooling advocate using Mollie Katzen as an example of a "glorious generalist," which seems funny to me now: "ZOMG she can cook AND draw!"

After I had read the whole thing, I knew why I had never made anything from this cookbook, and I knew that I never would make anything from it. I am a food racial purist. Maybe I've just had too much Mexican food that's really Italian, but the idea of putting oregano and basil and bell peppers in enchiladas makes me want to puke. Tomatillos go in enchiladas. Jalapenos. Not bell peppers. I just can't trust a cook who advocates stuff like that.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Moosewood Cookbook.

R. C. This book was one of the two in my glorious generalist category. "Glorious Generalist" is a chapter in _The Teenage Liberation Handbook_. The author recommends a few titles and gives guidelines for finding other glorious generalists.

I haven't decided on all the categories for my 20/20/20 yet, though.

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin Tell-Drake My mom used to put kielbasa in spaghetti sauce once in a while, and it added the nicest flavor to the sauce. Rebecca basically won't let me do this, on similarly segregationist grounds.