Kemper's Reviews > Starting Over: Why the Last Decade Was so Damn Rotten and Why the Next One Will Surely Be Better

Starting Over by Andy Serwer

Feb 09, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: non-fiction, craptacular

At the end of the year, Time Magazine did a cover story on The Decade from Hell. It was an interesting article, and I noticed while reading that the writer had this book out. I assumed that the book had been written and that Time had asked the author to make a summary out of it to do the article. Since I liked the article and think that 2000-2010 will indeed go down as the decade that sucked hairy gorilla testicles and am interested in reading more about why, I reserved it from the library.

Imagine my surprise when I went to pick up the book and saw that it was only 96 pages long. And if you throw out the intro, acknowledgements and a page eating timeline that consumes about 30 pages, you’re down to less than 50 very short pages of content. And as near as I can tell, the book IS the article.

Is there a more perfect way to sum up the miserable decade than this? To be expecting an in-depth analysis of all the things that made those years so craptacular only to find out that it was a bait-and-switch tactic to sell the article (which is still available free on-line) in book form? It’s as if Bernie Madoff has gone into publishing. I’m just glad I didn’t order from Amazon and spend the $15 on it or I would have been really peeved.

As content goes, it’s a good magazine article. It’s not much of a book since it’s long on generalizations and short on facts and analysis. If you want to read it, just check out this link and save yourself $15 or a trip to the library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starting Over.

message 1: by Georg (new)

Georg Good issue for law students. Can it really be leggaly forbidden to "steal" that book?

Kemper Georg wrote: "Good issue for law students. Can it really be leggaly forbidden to "steal" that book?"

I scrolled through the article and they did add just a little to the book version. (And I do mean a little.) But that's probably how they're justifying the book version and protecting it copyright wise.