Tara Chevrestt's Reviews > Every Dog Has a Gift: True Stories of Dogs Who Bring Hope & Healing into Our Lives

Every Dog Has a Gift by Rachel McPherson

Mar 05, 10

bookshelves: dogs, non-fiction, arc, 2010-release
Read on March 05, 2010

This is a book of short stories about dogs enriching our human lives. From dogs that aide autistic children, dogs helping kids learn to read, seeing eye dogs, dogs in wheelchairs, to dogs aiding Vietnam Vets, you would have to be a very cold hearted person not to be touched.

Tho all the stories are sweet and melt the heart, they at times felt like they were more about the humans. Thus, my four star rating. The last quarter is full of information on choosing, training, or getting involved in the dog service.

Potential buyers need to be aware of one thing: Tho the book tops out at 288 pages, when you take into account the pages dedicated to helpful websites, pictures, wide spacing, and the last quarter about getting a dog or whatever, you have a very short read. It only took me four hours and I put it down a few times in that four hours.

To those that have at some point in their lives rolled their eyes at a dog loving person and said, "It's just a dog!!," you need to read this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Dog Has a Gift.

03/05/2010 page 1
0.37% "Gonna curl up with girls and start this one. May read some of it out loud if not too sad. They like that."

Comments (showing 1-14)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan Good to know about the length, along with the rest of your review. I hate to buy a book that will take me just a little time to read.

Janet Very good review. I want to read this book. I hope you will be able to make a service dog out of P.

message 12: by Tara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tara Chevrestt All righty. Taking it off the trade list then. Will save it for you, Janet. Susan, you def. want to get this at your library. You will breeze thru it one sitting.

message 11: by Tara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tara Chevrestt Oh.. I checked out the dogsforthedeaf website and they won't place a dog in a household with other dogs. They do rescue dogs from shelters and spend 6 months training them to help the deaf and then they are placed.. but I could not limit myself to one dog. No way.

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael Cogdill Bravo to all here who embrace the love of a sweet dog. I crave your thoughts on this:

Tara Chevrestt That's sad but also happy in a way. The loss of Savanah is the sad part but I like the way you point that we can basically learn a lot from dogs. I LOVE what you say here: "Dogs get after big living. They seem illiterate of worry, yet able to read joys that elude us. They quietly shout to us: Wag your backside to music instead of your tongue to malice." Very true. I wonder if I can can paste that on my "quote page" with your name on it?

And you are right.. They don't care about how much money we make or how big our car. That was lovely. Thank you for sharing that.

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Cogdill Tara, my deepest thanks. Savannah thrives on in many moments of joy within us. The tears we still weep for her become our tide of remembering and celebrating her.

Please, feel free to use that quote, dear friend. Thank you, also, for spreading the She-Rain word as we ramp up to the launch. Savannah inspired Abe and Byron in there.

My warmest gratitude,
m

Tara Chevrestt Oh it has dogs in it too? Fabulous! I have entered the contest.. did that back in October. LOL Good luck with your launch. I'm sure all this is super exciting for you.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Cogdill Sure does, dear friend -- two of them, each proving the beauty a dog can spill into a human life!!

May you be among the first to win She-Rain!!! Reviews are coming in like crazy now. We're mighty thrilled!!

Keep us "tuned in" and keep spreading the word!! I'm covered in gratitude,
m

Tara Chevrestt You planning to get another dog in the near future? I cannot bear to be without them. I have pictures of mine on my profile. My Lola and My Pudgy.

Tara Chevrestt I have posted your quote on my profile. Your picture popped up next to it after I put in your name. Thanks for letting me post it. I can't make it show up on my updates tho.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan What a lovely tribute to your Savannah. All of those who have ever loved a dog can understand and appreciate. And maybe those who have never loved an animal will see them in a new light.

She-Rain looks touching and intriguing. Good luck with your launch!

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Cogdill Tara, we have Maggie, who is a cousin to Savannah. She's from the same breeder outside Atlanta, born of the same beautiful dna, inside and out. There will never be another Savannah. She's a unique force of enduring love. But Mags has placed a balm on our hearts. Of this, I know, Savannah is mighty glad!!

Thank you for those kind words about She-Rain. I promise that book will touch a deeply human place in your soul, dear friend. That is my pledge to you. Thank you for spreading its word to everyone you know!!

Warmest peace,
m

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Cogdill Susan wrote: "What a lovely tribute to your Savannah. All of those who have ever loved a dog can understand and appreciate. And maybe those who have never loved an animal will see them in a new light.

She-R..."

Susan, than you for these warm and kind words. She-Rain holds many a tribute. I trust it will bless you as well as it entertains! Stay tuned and spread the word!! Here's to the love of a sweet dog!!