Dixie Diamond's Reviews > Cage of Stars

Cage of Stars by Jacquelyn Mitchard

Mar 21, 08

bookshelves: fiction, 2000s, 1980s
Read in January, 2006

Unrealistic, repetitive, and very uneven. The build-up takes forever and then the climax and dénoumént pass in a flash, and none of it leaves much of an impact. The plot, characters, and details are not at all believable. I guess it might make for a nice, frothy, feel-good read if you like that kind of thing, but it's a literary lightweight.

I did feel a little browbeaten by the repeated references to Mormonism, although maybe not as much as some people. I'm a Quaker; people have all sorts of weird ideas about us, too. Oh, well. I got the feeling that the author was very anxious to feel unique, special, and put-upon because of her religion, which was more tiresome than the Mormonism specifically.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cage of Stars.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Suzanne This author is not Mormon

Dixie Diamond I didn't say she was. However, the main character is Mormon and there are endless references to it. I did not feel that the story itself hinged on her being Mormon, either, so having it held up all the time like some Great Extenuating Circumstance was boring and felt fake. It would have been just as sad a story and just as badly-written a book had she been Presbyterian or Baptist or Hindu or anything else or if her religion had never been mentioned. Reminding us of it over and over just felt like an attempt to make a hollow and unrealistic character more "exotic" and as an excuse for her to behave in ways that were illogical in an attempt to bolster a story that did not hold together on its own.

Angelia Phillips Dixie Diamond's review: "Oh, well. I got the feeling that the author was very anxious to feel unique, special, and put-upon because of her religion, which was more tiresome than the Mormonism specifically."

In your response to Suzanne pointing out to you that the author isn't Mormon, you wrote, "I didn't say she was."

Thankfully, your review didn't deter me from the read because I found it to be an excellent book and considering the protagonist is Mormon, was happy to get a bit of schooling on the Mormon religion, since I'm not one.