MB's Reviews > Perfection: A Memoir of Betrayal and Renewal

Perfection by Julie Metz

F_50x66
Feb 08, 10

Read in February, 2010

I started out really liking this book. She was a character I could identify with, for the first quarter or so of the book. I thought she was brave and honest, trying to find out the truth about her husband. But then I kept reading. She kept referring to herself as a feminist, and she was anything but. She couldn't do anything without a man telling her it was all right...her brother, her lover, a man she met over the phone through a dating site. I thought she was a shitty mother, bringing home practical strangers to meet her young daughter. I say this as a child of a single mother. Also, she took sluttiness to new heights. I don't think she had time to find out some of their last names before she hopped into the sack with them. By the time she was researching the evolutionary causes of infidelity, I was yelling at the book, "He was a dick. He was just an asshole. Now forget about him and move on with your life." God, this woman tortured herself, striking up "friendships" as she called them, with the women who had slept with her husband. I never understood why she needed to go to such great lengths to torture herself. He was a dick. Move on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perfection.