Anna's Reviews > Will Grayson, Will Grayson

May 17, 10

bookshelves: fiction, young-adult, read-in-2010, favorites
Recommended for: Loretta
Read from May 15 to 18, 2010

This book has restored my faith in John Green. I *loved* Looking for Alaska but was hugely disappointed by An Abundance of Katherines and Paper Towns. So, you can imagine my surprise when I could not put this book down. Yes, I know it was written by Green and David Levithan but, for both of them, I really think this is some of their best work. The humor is amazing and so real yet sharp and observant. I can't tell you how many passages I marked with a post-it because they made me laugh out loud. I absolutely loved the observations and insights that came with and made up the characters. Straight Will Grayson and Jane were two of my favorites. Jane for her humor and wit and straight Will Grayson for his denseness (density?). But more than anything, I loved Green's narration. And, yeah, this is totally a Tiny Cooper lovefest but you know what? He really wasn't annoying! Sure, he was somewhat over-the-top at times but I felt like his character served a real purpose and I liked him! I loved the whole book. This is one that I bought (and I got an autographed copy!) and I plan to read and reread many times more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Will Grayson, Will Grayson.

Quotes Anna Liked

David Levithan
“need is never a good basis for any relationship. it has to be much more than that.”

David Levithan
“i have a friend request from some stranger on facebook and i delete it without looking at the profile because that doesn't seem natural. 'cause friendship should not be as easy as that. it's like people believe all you need to do is like the same bands in order to be soulmates. or books. omg... U like the outsiders 2... it's like we're the same person! no we're not. it's like we have the same english teacher. there's a difference.”

John Green
“And, since they are theater people, they are all talking. All of them. Simultaneously. They do not need to be heard; they only need to be speaking.”
John Green, Will Grayson, Will Grayson

David Levithan
“when things break, it's not the actual breaking that prevents them from getting back together again. it's because a little piece gets lost -- the two remaining ends couldn't fit together even if they wanted to. the whole shape has changed.”

John Green
“I mean, I am pretty fabulous. Am I not?'

'You're a pillar of fabulosity in the community,' I tell him.”
John Green, Will Grayson, Will Grayson

David Levithan
“i think the idea of a 'mental health day' is something completely invented by people who have no clue what it's like to have bad mental health. the idea that your mind can be aired out in twenty-four hours is kind of like saying heart disease can be cured if you eat the right breakfast cereal. mental health days only exist for people who have the luxury of saying 'i don't want to deal with things today' and then can take the whole day off, while the rest of us are stuck fighting the fights we always fight, with no one really caring one way or another, unless we choose to bring a gun to school or ruin the morning announcements with a suicide.”

05/16/2010 page 108
34.84% "awesome..."
05/16/2010 page 161
51.94% "Love it!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

stephanie i loved it, and it did kind of restore my faith in green, but man, i loved gay-will too. and i loved, loved the fact that gay-will writes honestly about depression and stuff. HEART.

Anna I don't mean to make it sound like I didn't like gay Will but I just had a harder time relating to him and his situation. I do think the honest writing about depression was great but I have a hard time reading stuff like that.

message 3: by Loretta (new) - added it

Loretta Nyhan Yay! This is going to the top of my TBR pile. Thanks!