Annalisa's Reviews > Hush, Hush

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

542037
Feb 08, 10

bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy, romance, cover
Recommended to Annalisa by: Annie
Read on February 08, 2010

The bad mysterious boy with a paranormal past and the studious girl that captures his attention. We've all read a story like this before but apparently the formula is working because there's so many of them. The sexual tension was definitely there, but I wish Patch weren't so stalkerish and their relationship built on trust, honesty, respect, all those good things that make up love instead of kinetic energy that makes up lust. I didn't like Patch, but I oh so wanted to. Fallen angels are an intriguing concept, but the story focused more on this force between Nora and Patch than the angel lore. Fitzpatrick could have done a better job explaining her angel lore, which I wasn't always crazy about, and a couple times the story seemed contrived and the minor plots irrelevant, but overall that sexual tension is the glue that keeps the story together and she got it right on that account.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hush, Hush.

02/08/2010 page 184
47.06% "Have you ever read a book just because you like the cover?" 4 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Laurel Annalisa -- you pretty much expressed all my thoughts exactly. :)

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist I read on the author's website that she went to Brigham Young... now, maybe I'm just jumping to conclusions, but I was really surprised to read that...with the subject matter and her "take" on stuff in this book, that school seems the last place I'd expect her to go :/

Annalisa What?! I was so surprised, I had to go check it out for myself. I keep going back and forth on this one. I initially gave it 3 stars but then I wasn't crazy about the ending scene in the gym so I keep switching back and forth. But yeah, back to the angels, I don't know. I thought her angel lore was weird, but it didn't bug me as sacrilegious quite like Fallen. Now if you'd said Lauren Kate went to BYU, that would blow me away.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist LOL...the thing about BYU is that it's a majority Mormon school, I think (right...maybe?) I'd like to get a masters there... anyway, I wondered if that meant that she's Mormon - and if so, that would really surprise me. Like, you understand why that just seems weird, right? Having a fallen angel do the things that Patch did...and pretty much having a Heaven with no God... those don't really seem like things that would come from the mind of a religious person. I know I'd never write stuff like that!
Kinda bums me out, actually. :S

message 5: by Annalisa (last edited Jun 13, 2010 06:23PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Annalisa She most likely is. At BYU, the tuition is structured so that if you're Mormon you get the equivalent of in-state pricing at a state school (because tithing funds some of the school) and if you're not you get out-of-state pricing. Graduate programs are more varied, but most of the the undergraduates are Mormon. Pretty much the only ones who aren't are recruited for sports.

I tried to look for other clues in her bio that she was Mormon, but couldn't find anything. I would not have had the impression that she was Mormon from reading the book, but it's been long enough that I'm having trouble recalling specific statements in the book that struck me wrong. Like I didn't remember that she said there was no God in Heaven, but I did think her angels were all wrong and that the transition from fallen to good strange. I excuse it more from someone I assume is not religious, but would have been bothered if I'd gone into the book knowing that. It makes me want to skim over the book now. It kind of bums me out too.

So what master's program are you looking at? How much longer do you have for your undergraduate? What are studying now? If you have any questions about BYU, just let me know.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist I mean, I feel comfortable telling you, because I think you know the point I'm trying to make: there aren't really a lot of fantasy writers in my denomination, so I really back & support Mormon writers. They're cool :] But this disappoints me. She didn't have to actually say there's no God in Heaven - He was totally absent, as though Heaven was ruled by just the angels. Really, I guess that's my deal with angel fiction - real angels probably aren't near as interesting, because they do God's work and that's it... :P Idk.
I'm looking at either an MA in history, or something in education. One of my friends from home is going to BYU and she's not Mormon (she's Baptist like me) and her aunt teaches in Utah...Idk it seems like a cool place to live, so I was thinking about maybe teaching there. I don't know, though!

message 7: by Annalisa (last edited Jun 13, 2010 09:39PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Annalisa Yeah, I know what you're saying. It's disappointing. You're set at a higher standard; you know you're at a higher standard. Orson Scott Card gets heat sometimes because he has language in his Ender's series, but I'd much rather see that than someone mess with religious stuff. Now I get what you're saying about the no God in the book. Like there were no consequences and nobody was aware of what Patch was doing. That was one of the things that bothered me about it. I'm going to tell my friend who lent me the book and see what she thinks about it.

Provo is a nice place to live, lots of happy people (we actually get made fun of for being happy :). I hope your friend likes it there. My husband is a teacher. Just know Utah doesn't pay the best, not the worst but not the best. I guess it's what's important to you. I'm sure you could make more money somewhere it's not as nice to live. Utah is a nice place to live. I think so :).

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist Absolutely right on the Card point :)

BYU looks like a pretty campus, so I'm keeping it in mind. I've got one more year of undergrad. Thanks for the info! The Provo area sounds like a great place to live :)

message 9: by Erin (new) - rated it 1 star

Erin Don't mind me, just chiming in two years later...

The thing about the angel lore that weirded me out the most was how Patch acted (view spoiler) It felt like the author was more capitalizing on the popularity of the paranormal genre than trying to construct an intelligent, complex system.

Annalisa Erin wrote: "Don't mind me, just chiming in two years later..."

:).

I agree. It bugs me all these angelic characters who act very un-angelic like. What disappoints me about Fitzgerald is that she is religious so I expect more from her.