Jeanette "Astute Crabbist"'s Reviews > The Lock Artist

The Lock Artist by Steve Hamilton

Apr 24, 10

bookshelves: all-fiction, miss-trees, suspense-thriller, four-star-fiction
Recommended to Jeanette by: Charisse
Read in April, 2010

"Mute artistic safecracker" hardly sounds like a promising profile for the main character in a thriller, but it works. There's a lot of originality here that makes this fun to read.

Michael was rendered mute by a traumatic experience at age eight. Now he's in prison for a robbery gone very wrong, and he tells the story of how he ended up in his current situation. He alternates between two story lines that eventually converge (sort of). One is the story of his young life as a mute, and how he became a safecracker ("boxman"). The second story line is about the complications of his life as an on-call boxman who is unable to speak. His two great talents are drawing and picking locks. Hence, the double entendre in the title---"Lock Artist." Get it?

There are a few things that are a little hokey, but they're amusing and they move the plot along, so I didn't mind. The thing with the Coke can and the scissors that just happened to be within reach was quite a stretch, though.

I liked the way the pieces all came together in the story, with his artwork becoming an important part of his communication.

One more thing: You DO get to find out what happened to Michael when he was eight, so have faith. I got deeply involved in the story, then had this awful thought that I might get all the way to the end and never know the event that made him mute. I didn't see any reviews complaining of that, so I kept going, and I'm glad I did.

If you don't normally read thriller/mystery stories, you might want to give this a "spin" (HA!) just for unique's sake. It's not really a mystery or a thriller in the way you'd usually think of that genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lock Artist.

04/21/2010 page 170
55.92% ""Do not trust anyone, ever, if you hear them yelling into a telephone.""

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Charisse Great review, Jeanette!! :)

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Thank you! :)

Linty I enjoyed this one a lot. Have you read anything else from this author? I have been looking for a book along the lines of this one.

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" I haven't read any of his other books. Looks like the Alex McKnight series is an option. The first in the series won a couple of awards, so maybe worth a try?

Linty Hey, thanks. I'll look them up and maybe give them a try. I don't normally read thriller/mystery stories as well. But, I agree, this book was a bit different.

Linty You know, not until your review did I get that double entendre. Lock artist. Ah!!

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Linty wrote: "You know, not until your review did I get that double entendre. Lock artist. Ah!!"

Most people don't even look for that sort of thing, but I've always loved to play with words. I probably find double or triple meanings where none were intended.