Kaleigha's Reviews > Forbidden Highlander

Forbidden Highlander by Donna Grant

Jun 29, 10

When I read the first book in the series, I was glad to get back to a paranormal with a historical twist. And while not perfect, the first one did introduce a world I got interested in, and characters I was looking forward to reading about. So I was very excited to get my hands on this one...and for the most part I enjoyed this one as well.

This time around, we get the story of oldest brother Fallon, who has spent the last 300 years drowning himself in wine to keep the demon inside him at bay. He has fought and he has hidden, but now it is time for him to face what he is, and take his place as the head of his family. On top of that, the war with the evil Deidre is heating up, and the stakes are too high for Fallon to do anything else. As this book starts, Fallon is looking to re-claim that which is rightfully his, but instead finds a woman unlike any other.

Larena has secrets of her own. With her life devoted to destroying Deidre and protecting a priceless artifact, she has known little of safety or security. But when she meets the legendary warrior Fallon MacLeod, Larena knows he is her only chance. Even as she finds herself almost uncontrollably drawn to the Highlander, her secrets threaten to tear them apart.

This is a great world Donna Grant has created, complete with hot Highlanders, warriors, demons, magic and fated mates. And, it is a nice change to back to the past and get the always intense Highlanders. This one, however, is definitely not stand alone. It ends pretty much on a cliffhanger, and leaves us waiting for Quinn's story this November. The secondary characters are great, and each one has his or her own twist that catches your interest. The only drawback for me, in Forbidden Highlander, was that I didn't feel much of a spark between the main characters. Both Fallon and Larena were fine characters, but I felt that their story was rushed in order to cram in everything else going on. So, while storyline wise this is a pivotal book, romance wise it just didn't quite do it for me. What it did do was get me all revved up for the other character's stories, however, so definitely not a waste.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forbidden Highlander.

Alice Janell I didn't like this one as much as the first one either. But I can say this: I received an ARC of Wicked Highlander (Quinn's story), and it is A LOT better. I loved it.

Kaleigha Good to hear...always on the hunt for a great series.