Kim's Reviews > A Civil Action

A Civil Action by Jonathan Harr

F 50x66
Feb 08, 10

Read in February, 2010

** spoiler alert ** If you've ever seen Erin Brochovich and you read this book, after the first two chapters you might say "wow, this is very Erin Brochovichy" (at least that's what I said) because the case this book revolves around is very similar to the Erin Brochovich case. It's a true story about a town who believes their water has been contaminated by two large corporations. They have a very high instance of leukemia within a small area and other diseases as well. The hero is a multifaceted lawyer who is both likable and narcissistic. It was hard to get through some chapters because all of the details that were spelled out were at times mundane and dry (though important). But I'm glad I trudged through because I found the "negotiation" parts if it to be really interesting. SPOILER ALERT: This is not a "Rainmaker" book. At first I hoped it would be but gradually realized that wasn't going to be the case. As much as I enjoy John Grisham type legal thrillers, I have to admit that the real world doesn't work that way and justice and truth do not always prevail in a court of law. Though it was told from the prosecution prospective, it was well researched on both sides. The defense lawyers came across as real people not "bad corporate monsters." Overall, I found it really interesting.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Civil Action.