Vida's Reviews > The Motorcycle Diaries: Notes on a Latin American Journey

The Motorcycle Diaries by Ernesto Che Guevara

Feb 08, 2010

it was ok
Read in February, 2010

This book has been on my list for years. I was finally forced to read it for a Latin American History Course that I am taking.

As I read it, I became very skeptical. How could Che Guevara be such an eloquent writer and have such an enormous foundation of political history in 1951/1952? He must have added a lot when he went over it an edited it.

The biggest thing that struck me was his passion for communism which was tied to his position of authority in the communist movement. So, I could not look at him as altogether altruistic in his freedom fights. It struck me that had he not been so extraordinarily good-looking and quick to smile - he might have been just another guy or peon under the dominion of Castro. What one looks like does make a difference and it cannot be helped. We want handsome heroes.

It is an important book to read for anyone interested in Latin American.

What I was left with after reading this is what a failure communism has been in Cuba especially when the Soviets stopped sending enormous amounts of money. If Guevara had not died so young, the condition of Cuba and Castro's standing in the world arena would kill him

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Motorcycle Diaries.