s.a's Reviews > 2 States: The Story of My Marriage

2 States by Chetan Bhagat

U_50x66
Feb 08, 10

bookshelves: own

Everyone I know who has read the book, has loved it. And recommended it. Not that I had raised my expectations due to that. Mainly because I did not like 5.someone that much either -- which was the author's first and best and even more popular and highly recommended book.

Firstly, the positives. The theme/intention is good, light, fun. This is definitely a book for masses. And YES, there are one-liners, and/or wise-cracks, that are totally hilarious and I too enjoyed them and laughed aloud at them as well!

But that is all there is. And they were very few and far in between and could not keep me going.

Leaving aside the author's style of "spoken words" writing that I personally find unattractive, and the abruptly broken flow at a couple of places, I found the characters too typically 1-D - probably, this was intended to make it funnier?

The character development was also weak. Krish's father, for example, did not make any sense to me overall. And some of the characteristics of Mr. Subramaniam was a bit contradictory.

And the story was not only predictable, but felt a bit uneven - too much time/details spent in act 3 (Chennai), nothing much in act 4 (Delhi) was a bit odd.

And the thorn-point for me was the author's projection of himself in the lead... a bit self-centered/self-promoting, I felt... making Krish somehow an unreal, politically correct character. By saying it is based on his own life, he wants us to believe the story is authentic. At the same time, it is very clear that the story is exaggerated projection of long held stereotypes, not necessarily researched. And a disclaimer that it is fiction absolves him of any personal biases, right. It's tricky - but it sells, I suppose.

Anyways, given its plot (although nothing we've not seen before in Hindi cinema 100s of times, but had a lot of potential for fun) I expected the humour could have been a bit more socially insightful or observant. I felt it was seen in parts, but mostly missed. Like for example, the description of Ananya's house - almost empty halls w/ minimal furniture, humm of the grinder in the background, and God's photos and not art decorating the walls was pretty good. But eating everyday dinner on banana leaf?! spoiled it.

Thanks to its length and the speedy last 2 acts, I managed to finish
it fast though. Given its low price, and the fact that I was
traveling while reading it, I would say it was just worth the time
and money invested!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 2 States.