K.D. Absolutely's Reviews > Lord of the Flies

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Feb 10, 10

bookshelves: 1001-core, dystopian
Recommended to K.D. by: 501 Must Read Books and 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die
Recommended for: Jillian Joy
Read from February 08 to 09, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This book is one of those that I regret not reading earlier in my life. There are just too many lessons that one can learn and apply at various stages of one's life. Wikipedia says that there have been two movie adaptations of this classic novel originally published in 1954: the first one in 1963 and the other one in 1990. However, they did not count its Tagalog movie adaptation in 1976 entitled Alkitrang Dugo directed by Lupita Aquino-Kashiwahara starring, among others, the young Roderick Paulate as Andy. That is the version that I tried remembering while reading the book.

When I watched the re-run of that movie in Channel 5 during my college days, I took it as fantasy-thriller. I did not pay attention to the strong message that the novel tried to impart. I only remember the chant: "Patayin ang halimaw! Gilitan ng leeg! Padaluying ang dugo! Dugong alkitran!" which was based on the actual chant in the book as Kill the beast! Cut his throat! Spill his blood!. The tagalog sound kept buzzing in my mind while I was trying to understand the Krebs Cycle during my second year in college.

Now that I am a father, I take the novel more on the perspective of somebody who could have told the children what to do in the island. It is so depressing to read about the "littuns" who at the tender age of around 6 were left by themselves playing and trying to survive together with the "bigguns" who were still children themselves. The story did not tell us what happened: were they in their way to attend a Boy Scout Jamboree from England to Australia so when their plane crashed all the grownups perished and they ended up in one of the islands in Micronesia? However, it is a fiction and you don't need to question all the events rationally for you not to enjoy a work of art as brilliant as this novel. One would just have to sit back and be mesmerized by a tragic yet provocative, vivid and enthralling novel only somebody like William Golding can write. With this novel, his first but his most famous, I can say that he truly deserves his Nobel prize for Literature that he won in 1983.

This is also a good story for leadership lesson. Ralph could have saved his position as a chief had he not let Jack make a separate sub-group, i.e., the hunters. He should have made sure that Jack reports to him every step of the way. He should have been more sensitive to his subordinates so he could have seen the futility of keeping the fire that made the children so tired and disappointed. However, again, they were just but children and they needed to have grownups to tell them what to do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Flies.

02/08/2010 page 25

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly Parang "Lost'? I have william golding's Rites of Passage.

why is it that when we read these classics we find similarities with present modern literature? When I was reading Hesse's The Glass Bead Game, Harry Potter was on my mind. The book I'm currently reading [but around 25% pa lang ako:], looks eerily similar to Twilight [but without the vampirism--at least none yet. I don't know really kung may vampire ito coz the book has lost its jacket, so completely without blurbs. Pero yung atmosphere and characters is Twilight na Twilight although very well written prose-wise:].

K.D. Absolutely Yes, parang Lost but all characters are children age 6-12. Too tragic.

message 3: by jzhunagev (last edited May 18, 2010 08:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

jzhunagev Kuya Doni, I'm still in the middle of reading the book. As for me my speculation why they land on the island is that the school-boys are to be shipped because of an impending atomic/nuclear war in another country which I think is Australia which is a colony of the British Isles. The book was published during the Cold War kaya hindi malayong mangyari ito. Noong panahon kasi ng WWII nauso sa mga pamilya na dalhin sa Home Counties ang mga anak nila dahil fierce ang battle noon sa London dahil natakot sila sa intense bombing ng mga Nazis (If you would recall the opening scene in the Narnia Movie The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrboe). But still there's still room for more speculation.

And you're right when you said that this is a powerful lesson of leadership. In the 4th and 5th chapter of the novel I was a bit reminded of The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli regarding power politics and its dynamics, but they're still children kaya wala pa silang subtleties para maintindihan yun....

A good, good review Kuya Doni!!! Buti na lang walang spoiler di ko pa tapos ehh... Lolz! ^_^

K.D. Absolutely jzhunagev wrote: "Kuya Doni, I'm still in the middle of reading the book. As for me my speculation why they land on the island is that the school-boys are to be shipped because of an impending atomic/nuclear war in ..."

Oo naman. When I write a review, I always just put somethings that will remind me about the book someday. Minsan lang carried away pero di ko kinukuwento buong istorya. Kakahiya. If you like my review, i-click mo ang Yes para naman tumaas ang rating ko sa Best Reviewer. Ha ha ha. Di na nahiya. Har har har

jzhunagev Oo naman... Kaw pa Kuya Doni! ^_^

message 6: by Po (new) - added it

Po I super agree with you KD many lessons to learned re: leadership, maturity, and decision making esp. in times of trouble or accidents

K.D. Absolutely Thank you, Po.

❀Aimee❀ Just one more page... I always liked the irony it was a war ship that "saved" the boys from themselves.