Adam's Reviews > From Bauhaus to Our House

bookshelves: non-fiction
Recommended to Adam by: Will Klein
Recommended for: No one
Read from February 06 to 07, 2010, read count: 1

I was given this book to make me aware of architecture. And it may well have achieved that, for a little while. But it was simply an unpleasant experience to read the book. Wolfe writes a 128 page social history of modern architecture that is unrelentingly, bitingly spiteful and negative. He details all of their failings, and gives in-depth accounts of their sophistries and petty ideological squabbles-supposedly for the justified end of mocking them, but I merely found it tiresome. I know t...more I was given this book to make me aware of architecture. And it may well have achieved that, for a little while. But it was simply an unpleasant experience to read the book. Wolfe writes a 128 page social history of modern architecture that is unrelentingly, bitingly spiteful and negative. He details all of their failings, and gives in-depth accounts of their sophistries and petty ideological squabbles-supposedly for the justified end of mocking them, but I merely found it tiresome. I know that bastardized sophist Marxist theories were important in art criticism for a long time, but I don't care to know about their intricacies. Fuck you, Tom Wolfe, who is also an elitist asshole. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From Bauhaus to Our House.