Grace's Reviews > The Pox Party

The Pox Party by M.T. Anderson

Feb 07, 2010

bookshelves: history, young-adult, gothic
Read in February, 2010

Gothic style, not actually gothic. Either way, it's an engrossing, terrifying, intellectual, heart-racing read.

It would be spoiling things to give too much away, so: Octavian has, from childhood, been living in unusual circumstances with his mother in a house in Boston. Also in the house are a wide range of scholars, as well as various staff. The book's written as the reflections of an older man, looking back at his youth, but older-Octavian goes to great effort to make sure he limits his childhood sphere to only the things he was aware of at that particular age. It took me until the end of the book to figure out how brilliant that particular writing trick was, because Octavian's self-narrated history mixes in with letters and newspaper cuttings and even scratched-out pages. When you pull yourself out of the story long enough to examine what is means when the forms of narration changes, you get an even better view of Octavian -- both as a youth and as the older person trying to compile his biography.

This is a deep, thoughtful book. It is AMAZING to think that MT Anderson is also behind "Feed", a book that is practically the polar opposite of this one in subject, tone, style and narrator. But they're both wonderful books, which makes me conclude that Anderson must just be one of the most talented writers of YA fiction out there.

I was absolutely breathless by the end of the book, and I cannot wait for the sequel to arrive at my doorstep.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pox Party.

09/20/2016 marked as: read