Anita's Reviews > Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster: Become a Faster, Stronger Runner with the Revolutionary FIRST Training Program

Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster by Bill Pierce

Feb 11, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction-read
Read from February 07 to 10, 2010

Turns out there is more to it than just running less to being faster. The program makes sense to me and my old knees, and I will be trying it. The book is mostly scientific data, testimonials and charts, with an emphasis on the testimonials. The charts weren't that helpful to me because they didn't track slow enough! I was able to go on line and find the charts for us more plodding runners. Actually you can find a lot of their info on how to do the program online, so unless you like reading a lot of testimonials, the book is probably not that necessary.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster.

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-5 of 5) </span> <span class="smallText">(5 new)</span>

message 1: by Terri (new)

Terri Adams anita....are you a runner????

Anita A slow runner. I'm hoping to get back up to running some long distances.

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin Elaborate for another slow runner. What are the main points of the book?

message 4: by Anita (last edited Feb 12, 2010 07:56AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anita You only run 3 times per week with 2 days of cross training. The first run is track repeats with certain paces (hence all the charts). The 2nd run is a tempo run at your 10k pace (hence even more charts). The last run is a long run at 5k pace plus 75 seconds, or something according to lots more charts. It sounds confusing, but I like the fact that you only run every other day--I do that to avoid injuries anyway. The timing is all set up to increase your pace and your oxygen intake and other scientific stuff. The slow charts are on line--look up FIRST running program, or run less, run faster at Running magazine and you can get more info. Better yet get the book at the library and skim through it. You are probably fast enough to use the charts there.

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin Old ladies power walk by me. Public humiliation.

Thanks.