Laurie's Reviews > Hope for Animals and Their World: How Endangered Species Are Being Rescued from the Brink

Hope for Animals and Their World by Jane Goodall

Apr 23, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Read from February 07 to April 19, 2010

This is a good book to read if you are interested in animals or conservation. It is really a collection of small essays about different species that are labeled conservation successes, so it is not great to read straight through. The purpose of the book is to counteract the hopelessness a lot of people feel when discussing conservation. The idea is that this hopelessness stops people from acting, so Goodall decided to present some success stories, in hopes that people will see a difference can still be made for a lot of species that appear to be in a dire situation. I can see the merit in this approach, but at times I was worried the book went too far in the positive direction, and lost some of the sense of urgency that we need to have when thinking about conservation. Also, there was a lot about zoos and captive breeding programs, and I, personally, am not convinced that these contribute to conservation to the extent we hope they do. Still, I love Jane Goodall and this was a very interesting book overall.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hope for Animals and Their World.