Heather's Reviews > A Girl Named Zippy: Growing Up Small in Mooreland Indiana

A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel

Nov 09, 07

Read in October, 2002

This is one of the most enjoyable books I've ever come across. I tore through it, often laughing OUT LOUD in inopportune public places (you know, when you are reading something funny and you kind of guffaw and then catch yourself, stifle the laugh, and look around to see if anyone is watching?).

It's hard to explain what it is about, because it is really just what the subtitle says: "Growing Up Small In Mooreland, Indiana." It's an autobiographical collection of impressions, moments, memories, funny stories, dares, characters, struggles, and ephemera from the childhood of a unique & hilarious girl (nicknamed Zippy) as she goes about her days in the late '60s/early '70s in a very small town. Sounds like a totally touchy-feely Babysitters' Club premise for a book, right?

But it is intelligent, well-written (she really captures the voice and the perception of herself at 7 or 8), emphatically NOT-schmaltzy, and funny as all get out. And also shreddingly poignant at times when you least expect it. I bought this for all my friends one Christmas after reading it; it's that good, you just gotta share it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Girl Named Zippy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kirstie Ah yes, I really cherished this one! I'm a big fan of Haven Kimmel's writing style overall.