Liza Gilbert's Reviews > The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag

The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley

2035961
Mar 22, 10

bookshelves: adult-fiction

I finished this yesterday afternoon and have been debating about what to say about it since then. This book did not strike me as quite so original as the first, Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. However, as I've thought about it, the only thing this novel lacked was the initial shock of meeting Flavia, a 10/11 year old female protagonist who likes to dabble in poisons.

I knew this going in, and wasn't as forcefully blown away. However, all the subtle signs of craftsmanship are there - well-drawn characters, an irrepressible and fantastic protagonist, a great setting, and an unusual story. Toss in some chemistry (poisons, not love) and this book was just as fine as the first. I sailed through it, and lamented that the whole series is not yet written and published. Since Flavia doesn't like to wait and be patient, why should I?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag.

Quotes Liza Liked

Alan Bradley
“If you remember nothing else, remember this: Inspiration from outside one's self is like the heat in an oven. It makes passable Bath buns. But inspiration from within is like a volcano: It changes the face of the world.”
Alan Bradley, The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag