Robin Wiley's Reviews > Boneshaker

Boneshaker by Cherie Priest

Feb 09, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, love-it-more-than-puppies, zombie
Read in February, 2010

You had me at zombie (sigh!).

The scene where Briar encounters the zombies (aka: rotters) for the first time will stay with me forever. Super creepy!

Fantastic steam-punky goodness! Airships, clockworks, and steampowered machines.

What a great heroine! Briar Wilkes has been treated very poorly by the world she lives in. I'll grant you, I was kind of depressed the first three chapters. But, she never feels sorry for herself, or whines about it. When her son goes missing and she goes into mama-mode...it is a beautiful and terrifying thing. (If she had only named that Spencer rifle, I would have cried tears of joy!) The action starts about page 54 (depression...over), and never really lets up.

Great characters, plenty of zombie-killing, a good solid airship battle, mysteries to solve, tunnels and hideouts galore, crazy inventions, fun weapons, a robotic arm, a "Nemo-esque" mad scientist, and a good (but not fairy tale) ending - what's not to love?

If you are in need of a fun read between your mega trilogies, and your serious books - please pick this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boneshaker.