Jonny's Reviews > The Holy Bible

Apr 25, 07

bookshelves: fantasy
Recommended for: Nobody.
Read in January, 2000

If it wasn't for the fact that some people actually took it seriously, this book would be a fantastic read. It's action packed, full of death and destruction, as well as advocating murder, vengeance, wars, sacrifice and rape, and even the stoning of adulterers and homosexuals - it's definetly a thrilling (if somewhat disturbing) read!

However, if you wish to read the original stories, then you may want to refer to Mithraic holy scripts, which predate the Bible by several thousand years, yet amazingly contain many of the same stories. Mithras, for example, was the son of God, born on the 25th December of a virgin in a grotto, where he was attended to by shepherds with gifts. He was, according to Mithraic holy texts, sent to Earth to live as a man, and die to redeem the sins of mankind. He requested people drink of his blood and eat of his flesh (which Mithraic followers did symbolically in Communion) and had a meal with his 12 followers the night before his death. However, do not be concerned, for he was resurrected shortly after, and followers were also baptised so that they too could be resurrected after death. I smell plagiarism here...
45 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Holy Bible.

Dave You cant even begin to understand the significance of this book, so it would be an understatment to say your first sentence is a little ignorant. plus, how can you give it a decent review, and then reccomend it to no one and give it 1 star?

message 2: by Gregory (new)

Gregory It's gratifying to see that at least one other living person in the world has even heard of Mithras. Have you ever heard of Sol Invictus? He was the deity of a monotheistic Roman state religion instituted by Diocletian in an attempt to unify the empire. Sol Invictus also bears many similarities to Mithras, as well as to Apollo. This was before Constantine chose Christianity as the state religion. Draw your own conclusions.

message 3: by Dave (last edited Sep 15, 2008 01:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dave After reading such claims I did research into Mithraism from legitimate historical sources rather than pop history websites, and found the similarities aren't nearly as pronounced as your review suggests. Also, while Mithraism peaked in 300 AD, Christianity was already wide spread, and many scholars believe that Mithraism took elements of the Christ-story, not the other way around. There is no evidence to support Dec 25th as the birthday of Christ in 4 A.D. In fact, almost all scholars agree that this date was adopted centuries later.

Also, there is no reliable evidence to suggest that the early Christians copied anything from Mithraism. In fact, it may have been the other way around....

Shannon Speaking of dates...Did you know that everytime you write a date on a piece of paper or say a date out loud, or look at your calendar to find the date, you are agreeing with Christianity? After all B.C. is "before Christ" (not, Before Mithras) And A.D. would be "Anno Domini" or better known as "Anno Domini Nostri lesu Christi" (In the year of our Lord Jesus Christ) - Again, not Mithras, Allah, Buddah etc...but Jesus Christ.

Thank you and have a blessed day.
Or should I say have a blessed July 23rd in the year of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Shannon Since we're taking God out of everything else, I guess we'll have to change our calendars now too...
That's a lot of trees!

LOL

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Actually, Shannon, nowadays the more acceptable way to write the date is using the terms "B.C.E." and "C.E." - "Before Common Era" and "Common Era". This is what is used in most recent textbooks etc.

Shannon Actually Eamon, "Common Era" is also known as "Christian Era" and "Current Era". All three abbreviated as C.E. Dates before the year 1 are stated as B.C.E. or "Before Common, Christian, or Current Era"
Both the BCE/CE and BC/AD notations are based on a sixth century estimate for the year in which Jesus was conceived or born, with "common era" designation originating among Christians in Europe at least as early as 1615 (at first in Latin).

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, but my point was that you aren't necessarily "agreeing with Christianity" every time you write the date. Changing the entire calendar and dating system would be extremely impractical so nowadays non-Christians/athiests are able to use the "BCE/CE" system which is considered neutral and has less religious connotations.

Shannon And my point is that it is all the same thing and the BCE/CE was originated among Christians. So, though it may have less religious connotations to non-Christians, it is still based on the birth of Jesus. My point being...not Mithras, or Buddah, or Krishna...but Jesus Christ.

But, like I've said in the past, I do not debate my Lord, I only declare Him.

Have a blessed day.

Raven Changing it from BC to BCE is just another way to take God out of life. It never fails.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Shannon wrote: "Speaking of dates...Did you know that everytime you write a date on a piece of paper or say a date out loud, or look at your calendar to find the date, you are agreeing with Christianity? After all..."
Ridiculous, just because I lift the toilet seat when I pee, doesn't mean I agree with it. That's common sense. We had to choose a date, a recent reference point, and there is also something called Democracy, doesn't mean anybody agree with anything you say. If most people want to use the date of the biggest hoax in history, some have to follow. But if you want us to splash the toilet seat, we can arrange that.

message 12: by Em (new)

Em Dionysus also has many similarities with Jesus.

Shannon "If most people want to use the date of the biggest hoax in history, some have to follow."

Funny how we as humans consider ourselves so intellectual, yet we would choose the a dateof a "hoax" to base our whole time and existence from....Yeah, that makes a ton of sense.

And I don't lift the toilet seat when I pee, so it doesn't bother me either way.

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I love this book but your review I love more! Great! I love a critic when it is reasonable like yours. Did you read "a crossing or the drop's history" by Anatoliy Obraztsov?

message 15: by Rob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob Smith Many a man and woman gave their lives to bring forward this text, regardless of the false churches and corrupt leaders, Christ gave his time to the poor and the dying, without his contributions, there would be no hospitals for the less fortunate, or schools for the ignorant. Jesus, single handed, blessed the world with literacy and compassion. Merry Christmas!