Beth's Reviews > One Foot in the Grave

One Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Feb 07, 2010

bookshelves: 2010-book-list
Read from February 07 to 09, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 1

So four years ago our heroine Cat chose to leave her love behind in order to join a top secret government group to fight those things that go bump in the night. If only to protect Bones from being killed by those very people. So now she's ass-kicking her way through the underground world of vamps and is head of her own unit when her next mission brings her back to a familiar face from her past who leads her back to Bones.

What I LOVED about this book was that as a reader you are never bogged down by back story. My biggest bugbear is when you have to go through three pages of back story on the previous book and characters history before the story gets moving and by that point it's a hard slog to get back into the book once it's been introduced. Jeaniene filled us in on the details of Cat past history those four years ago and the events leading up to her departure from Bones with such fluidity it didn't pause the book to bring us up to speed. Though I would say you wouldn't need to read the previous book to feel familiar with the Night Huntress world and it's inhabitants - I would encourage you to do so because it was such a great book and a starting point that you'd be sorry if you didn't.

There were plenty of twists and a very satisfying ending. I very much looking forward to seeing where the poignant final twist in Bones' and Cat's relationship leads them from here into the next book.

And speaking of relationships... wow. I must say the internet wasn't lying about that infamous chapter thirty-two *ahem*, with that little observation out of the way - let's move on...

Well, lets say I can't wait to read the next book in the series. So much in fact that I went straight out after work yesterday and bought the next two in the series before I'd even finished this one. I thoroughly enjoyed the first book of this series and had there not been a short supply of the remaining books I would have devoured this and the following months ago! But better late than never. Frost has managed to weave a dynamic collective of characters from the vamps to the ghouls and even the humans. This was

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Foot in the Grave.

02/07/2010 page 22
02/07/2010 page 32
8.96% "got interrupted by a short story in the Mona Lisa series I managed to overlook. Now back on track!"
show 4 hidden updates…