Laurel's Reviews > Gregor the Overlander

Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins

Mar 14, 10

bookshelves: young-adult, fiction, fantasy
Read from March 13 to 14, 2010

With a few exceptions, I am not typically a big fan of science fiction/fantasy, nor of bugs and rats and dark places. Had I not read and loved The Hunger Games, I never would have even considered reading this book. And I would have most certainly been missing out.

This is Suzanne Collin's first novel, and it is quite a first novel. Gregor the Overlander centers around an eleven-year-old boy and his little sister who fall through a grate in the laundry room of their apartment complex. After being hurtled down a long tunnel, they find themselves in the midst of a strange Underland full of talking giant cockroaches, rats, bats and spiders, as well as humans with translucent skin and violet eyes. As the children become acquainted with the strange beings and history of this mysterious land, a prophetic quest forms to find Gregor's long lost father (believed to have fallen victim to some of the creatures here years earlier), and lots of adventure ensues.

Apparently, the author was inspired to write this book after wondering what Alice and Wonderland may have been like had it taken place in a city, where one is more likely to fall down a manhole than a bunny hole.

I thought it was a fantastic story; a real page turner that, amidst all the adventure, asks its reader to consider issues of friendship, responsibility, tolerance, acceptance, determination and loyalty. Very imaginative and well written. I highly recommend it, particularly if you enjoy YA fantasy or loved The Hunger Games.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gregor the Overlander.

03/13/2010 page 1
16.67% "Excited to be starting another Suzanne Collins book! I believe this was her first novel."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Laurel It actually was fun! I may end up buying a copy for my nephew. :)

Vicky Hall im 144 pages in and finding it quite hard but after reading this review i think i will stick at it :)

Claire In the middle of this book and it's addicting I haven't read the Hunger games yet but my family has and says its great! Any one who loves the Harry Potter series would love this book!

message 4: by Joshua (new) - added it

Joshua I am usually skeptical of anything I start to read but after I read the hunger games (and I was highly skeptic to read that one too) it became my all time favorite series. Now I think I will go ahead and dive into this series as well, that is after I finish the last book in the Inheritance cycle

message 5: by Joshua (new) - added it

Laurel Hope you enjoy it, Joshua!