Sueij's Reviews > Territory

1951999
Feb 07, 10

Read in January, 2010

A solidly good read.

I mostly read contemporary- or future-based fiction, so this fantasy novel of the Wild West was unusual for me. But I met and heard Emma Bull at a science fiction convention a few years ago and have wanted to read her work ever since. She's an excellent writer.

The timing in the book felt a little odd. A quarter of the way into the book I still felt like the main conflict driving the story hadn't been introduced. (As a matter of fact I re-read the back cover about then and it felt like one huge spoiler.) And six pages from the end, I couldn't imagine how it would wrap up. And though it did -- just fine -- I felt like it ended immediately at the end of the climax and didn't give me nearly enough information about how life would play out next.

But maybe playing with the timing of the rising and falling action is part of the author's game. The characters were beautifully done. They had history and depth and interest. The plot -- that magic is afoot in Wyatt Earp's town -- was creatively done. I couldn't stand to put the book down, and I will definitely be reading more of Emma Bull's work.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Territory.