Jace Yong's Reviews > Cordelia's Honor

Cordelia's Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold

Apr 26, 10

bookshelves: authors-b, 3-stars, read-in-2010, 8-to-give-away, 7-sf-fantasy
Read from February 19 to April 26, 2010

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cordelia's Honor.

02/19/2010 page 21
3.52% "So far so good. :)"
04/11/2010 page 340
57.05% "Back to trying to finish this book. Half-read books drive me crazy!"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Janice (Janicu) Gasppp. We're both reading this! OK I read the first book, started the second and kind of stalled on it. I need to get back to it.

message 2: by Jace (last edited Mar 01, 2010 09:39PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jace Yong Hey Jan ... I've stalled at pg 340. I put it down 7 days ago and haven't got the urge to pick it up yet. :( I found the writing to be a little dry and the story just didn't draw me in.

Janice (Janicu) Did you stall in the first book or the second? The second for me didn't feel like anything was happening yet so I got bored, but I was right in the beginning.

Jace Yong I stalled in the 1st book, somewhere towards the end. I need to get back to it so I can move on to another book. :)

message 5: by Taja (new)

Taja I planned to read this one if I ever wanted to read another book by Bujold. Now I'm not so sure. :) Was there a specific reason why you stalled?

Janice (Janicu) I didn't have problems with pacing the the first book (Shards of Honor) -- but I do recall that in the end there's some "getting settled" bits that may be slower than the rest of the book.

In the second part (Barrayar) the beginning also has some day-to-day, getting settled in a new life bits and it seems to be longer than necessary. I think I expect action closer to the beginning, but I've been told it gets good so I plan to get back to it.

Jace Yong Taja, may I be frank? ;) I just can't "feel" the characters - this is my biggest disappointment. And this is NOT SFR like Linnea Sinclair's or Susan Grant's. I bought this book because I read some reviews that said these 2 stories are "love stories" so I thought they'd be like SFR, right? Wrong. These are sci-fi stories with some romantic elements. I'm so spoilt by LS's writing - the emotion, characters and action sequences - her writing draws me in immediately, and this book just doesn't. :(

Jace Yong Jan, I'm in fact in the 2nd story - Chapter 6. I think I will definitely continue reading at some point. I'm reading some short stories on the side - bad of me, I know - but I need a quick read right now.

Janice (Janicu) Jace, don't worry. I put the book down in January.. so I'm just as bad!

Linnea Sinclair is the queen of SFR! This isn't the same thing.. definitely more SF than romance. I like Cordelia a lot and I like the romance, but the focus isn't so much on the romance as it is on the SF - politics, worlds, etc.

message 10: by Taja (new)

Taja Jace, you always may be frank. In fact, that's what I prefer. :)

I think I'll push this novel down on my list of books to get, especially because I wasn't really won over by the other novel I read by Bujold. Thank you for your answer!

message 11: by Jace (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jace Yong Hey Taja, which is the other Bujold book you've read? I have CURSE OF CHALION in TBR.

message 12: by Taja (last edited Mar 13, 2010 02:26AM) (new)

Taja No, it isn't that one. (But I have it on my list, too *g*)

I read BEGUILEMENT (THE SHARING KNIFE I). An okay read but I didn't feel compelled to read the next in the series.