Lin's Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Apr 06, 10

bookshelves: 2010, supernatural, ya, wtf-crazy, best-covers, series-firsts
Recommended for: those who can ignore a terrible ending, Team Jacob
Read from April 01 to 06, 2010

I don't know how to review this, i really don't. The first half of the book - 4 stars. I liked the way it was written, the characters, the setting, the mythology. Everything seemed to work. It was easy and pretty.

Then the ending - 1 star. The solution was just awful. On a personal (and medical) note it was horrible. I groaned when their solution was first discussed. I prayed it was just precusor talk for a more reasonable solution.

So I'll just ignore that for now.
Story wise - girl rescued by wolf, falls in love with wolf, finds out wolf is actually werewolf and is a boy at warmer temperatures. The wolf mythology was pretty cool. Sam's backstory is tragic and well written. His emo-boy lyrics grate considerably, but he does have a personality - big thumbs up in these kinda books. Grace also, surprisingly, has a personality, including crappy parents and some real live friends. I really was routing for them. There's no 'big bad' as such apart from the coldness that leaks from the pages. The temperature reports at the beginning of every chapter were a really good tool and I liked the switching narrator. The very last page tore me as well, it was either a sweet moment that said it all, or annoying as there were questions that needed to be answered.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.

04/05/2010 page 272