William Herschel's Reviews > Perdido Street Station

Perdido Street Station by China Miéville

Feb 25, 11

bookshelves: maybe-like-gormenghast, own, scifi-fantasy, 2011
Read from February 15 to 24, 2011

Perdido Street Station oozes with Miéville's immense creativity... and grime and dirt and stink. The book centers around New Crobuzon, a city residing in the ancient carcass of some unidentified beast.

This is not a tidy book. It's like Miéville vomited his creativity on the pages, creating a disturbingly modern place yet with rather archaic, steam technology. The world is filled with political unrest, poverty, dirt, drugs, killings, different species, and a rather confusing, exciting blend of both science and magic.

It's not tidy but it is very rich in description, characters, and plot. There were times I thought "no way!" at some of Miéville's ideas but by the next page I was believing and holding on to every word.

I don't feel like a plot description is appropriate with a book like this. It's very bizarre and imaginative and deserves to be unraveled with the flip of it's pages. I can say this is not for more traditional readers. It requires an open-mind to the strange and vulgar and somebody willing to immerse themselves in another world, one that probably wouldn't ever make a places-i-would-like-to-visit list.

My choosing to read this was from Miéville citing Mervyn Peake as an influence. It's obvious in his obsessiveness with the city, with it's strange architecture and his verbosity. Miéville's interest in politics is also apparent. I'm really looking forward to reading his previous work and watching out for what he does in the future.

By the way, how the hell do you pronounce Miéville?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perdido Street Station.

02/15/2011 page 40
02/19/2011 page 205
32.0% 2 comments
show 4 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

William Herschel it's / its

My errors bother me but it'd bother me even more to bump a review and ruin the date at the bottom.

Brad Loved the review, William, but I have to say that I WOULD love to visit New Crobuzon. In fact, I think I'd like to live there.

Jacob By the way, how the hell do you pronounce Miéville?

Mee-ay-ville. His middle name is Tom--China Tom Miéville. His parents sound pretty awesome.

Video of China talking about Embassytown. Doesn't mention his last name, but it's cool anyway.

William Herschel thank you!

Miéville says in the video he'd live in Bas Lag, too. I hadn't heard him speak before. It's made me like him more.