Jillian's Reviews > Pitch Black: Color Me Lost

Pitch Black by Melody Carlson

Nov 09, 07

Recommended for: no one
Read in January, 2004

Hated hated hated this book. It gives you no warning from the cover or excerpt of its underlying religious morals. I know that sounds bad, but when a story is corrupted by a forced unrealistic message... Idk it really bothered me.
I never read another one in this Color Me series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pitch Black.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Apr 27, 2008 11:22AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rachel Brand The last line of the blurb reads:

"Morgan feels lost in a pitch-black abyss, and her only way out is to turn back to the one Friend who will never leave her."

The word "Friend" is capitalised here because it is another name for God or Jesus. Everytime God or Jesus or the Holy Spirit is mentioned somewhere, whatever word is being used to represent Them is capitilised. That's how you can tell that the novel is somewhat related to the Christian faith.

Personally, before ever buying a book I would flick through it, perhaps read a few pages before I buy it, just in case I "hate hate hate" it.

And also - EVERY BOOK that you read will have a message in it. Whether the message is that you will find true love in the end, or that you shouldn't judge anyone by their appearance, or that racism is bad - there is still a message. Not everyone will agree with the message, but that's the way life is. The message isn't even forced on you, it's just there in the novel, and the reader can take what they wish from it.
I wouldn't say that any novel is "corrupted" by it's message - the novel IS the message.
I'm also not sure how the message is unrealistic; from what I remember the story was very simple and very true to life.

Also - where did you get the book? As far as I'm aware, it is only available from Christian bookshops, such as Wesley Owen, as it seems (from what I can see) to be aimed at a young teenage Christian audience.

message 2: by Jillian (last edited Apr 27, 2008 01:38PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jillian Borders.
I definitely hated this book, thought it was unrealistic, that it did corrupt the story, and felt like i was tricked into reading it. That is MY opinion on the book and that is why it is in MY review. Sorry.

message 3: by Rachel (last edited Apr 28, 2008 02:52PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rachel Brand I don't see how some teenage boy trying to get attention by taking pills and ending up dead is unrealistic - as far as I can see, that sort of thing happens all the time. As do suicide pacts, like the one mentioned in the book.

But yes, you are entitled to your own opinion. I'm not saying you aren't, just the way you worded it in the first review kind of suggested that the book was corrupted by the message, and that that was a fact, not just your opinion.

Personally, this isn't one of my favourite books or anything, but I think it's okay. I can't see it appealing to non-Christians, however - it's deinfitely aimed at people who already have belief in God, so I'm not sure why Borders were selling it.

message 4: by Em (new)

Em I haven't read any of these books, but Ive heard people say they're unrealistic because Jesus fixes everything in the end, immediately. There's no struggle. That is unrealistic, even if you are Christian, overcoming life's problems is not just something that can be fixed over night.