Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)'s Reviews > Marriage: For Business or Pleasure?

Marriage by Nicola Marsh

This was an enjoyable book about two people who had fallen in love as teens, but had gone their separate ways because of outside influences. However, ten years apart didn’t break their bond. When Brittany comes back to the small town in Australia where she and Nick grew up, it’s strictly for business. But she finds her feelings for Nick had only been suppressed, not vanished. She doesn’t want to be emotionally susceptible to the man who broke her heart. She’s worked hard in the past ten years to build a reputation and to climb the advertising ladder. A business relationship with her first love could help her significantly. She needs him to agree to allowing her to use his sugar cane farm to pitch as an advertising campaign so she can get her raise. He won’t do it unless she agrees to marry him, for business. When she finds out that she owes a debt to her abusive father, she agrees. However, the hard part is keeping those feelings at bay.

Although I’m not a big fan of the reunited lovers theme, Ms. Marsh handles it well. Also, I love seeing heroines who are successful in their careers, and financially independent, on equal to the heroes. Ms. Marsh did a great job of showing me who Nick was, revealing his emotional vulnerabilities in a way that I wish was done more often in the Harlequin Presents books. Instead of Brittany being the only one who seemed emotionally at risk, it was clear that Nick had a lot at stake on that level as well. I liked that Nick and Brittany had been friends since childhood, and their love grew out of their bond. It must have made their separation that much more painful. I appreciated that time was taken to show the rebuilding of Brittany and Nick’s relationship outside of the sexual aspect. That would have been way to easy too show them jumping into intimacy when they had to work to rebuild the trust between them that was lost when they parted.

This was a good, quick Saturday read, and I’m glad to know I have more of Nicola Marsh’s books in my tbr pile to read. She has a way with words and writes a very good romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marriage.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by MelissaB (new) - added it

MelissaB Great review Danielle! Sounds good, I am also not a big fan of reunited lovers but I like some if they are done well so I will check this out.

message 2: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Wonderful review :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Melissa and Vicki. Melissa I hope you enjoy it.

message 4: by Rane (new)

Rane Great Review Danielle!

message 5: by Denise (new) - added it

Denise I realy want to try some of these HP books... they all sound so good! Thanks for the great review Danielle!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Rane. Denise, this is a good one to start with.

message 7: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Great review Danielle!

message 9: by Annie (new)

Annie Great Review Danielle

message 11: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Marsh So glad you enjoyed one of my favourite books, Danielle :)

This one is up for Romantic Times Reviewers' Choice award for Best Harlequin Presents 2010.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed :)

Thanks for a great review!

message 13: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Marsh Thanks, winners announced next month at RT convention

message 15: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Marsh I'm up against some stiff competition so if I happen to win I'm pretty sure you'll hear me yellingng it around :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I wouldn't blame you at all, Nicola. That's quite an honor!